Corinthians close in on safety with a fine win at Cogenhoe

Shaun Sparrow's Rothwell Corinthians side picked up a fine 1-0 success at Cogenhoe United
Shaun Sparrow's Rothwell Corinthians side picked up a fine 1-0 success at Cogenhoe United

Rothwell Corinthians edged ever-closer to safety in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division with a fine 1-0 victory at Cogenhoe United.

Kalon Peniasko grabbed the only goal of the game for Shawn Sparrow’s team six minutes into the second half as Corinthians picked a first-ever win at Compton Park.

Wellingborough Town picked up a good point in their bid to avoid the drop as they drew 0-0 at sixth-placed Kirby Muxloe.

Adam Randall had one of the best chances of the game for the Doughboys but headed off target.

On Good Friday, Desborough Town suffered a derby defeat as they went down 2-0 at Harborough Town.

The goals came late on as a Ben Williams penalty gave the hosts the lead with 12 minutes to go and, despite having Danny Wright sent off, they wrapped things up through Dino Tuksar.

Stewarts & Lloyds and ON Chenecks are still battling out for the second promotion spot in Division One.

Both won on Saturday as goals from Ben Foster and Ben Lewington earned Chenecks a 2-0 victory at Irchester United.

They remain two points clear of S&L, who still have two games in hand, as they saw off bottom side Burton Park Wanderers 4-2 at Occupation Road.

Wanderers stunned the hosts when Aidan Smith opened the scoring but Callum Noble and Michael Byrne turned things around before half-time.

Ryan Bell made it 3-1 soon after the restart but Jamie Coles struck to keep the visitors in it, only for Tommy Berwick to round things off for the Foundrymen on 65 minutes.

Thrapston Town’s 10-match unbeaten run was ended as Olney Town scored four goals in 11 second-half minutes to claim a 4-2 win at Chancery Lane.

Dodzi Agbenu gave the hosts a half-time lead but that crazy spell started on 55 minutes when Aaron Murrell equalised.

Further goals from Danny Webb (2) and Cameron Clark put Olney in charge and Thrapston were unable to recover, although Kaine Clinton pulled one back late on.

Rushden & Higham United also tasted defeat at home as Blackstones ran out 2-1 winners at Hayden Road.

Zack Fisher and Jones De Sousa put the visitors 2-0 up in the second half and, although the Lankies replied through Dylan Wilson, they were unable to get back on level terms.

Raunds Town squandered a first-half lead as they were beaten 3-1 at Lutterworth Athletic.

Nat Gosnal-Tyler had given the Shopmates the lead but Sam Young, Alex Rhodes and Callum Harris struck after the break to give the hosts victory.