Caretakers enjoy a fine start

Action from Raunds Town's 2-1 victory over Northampton Spencer at Kiln Park in Division One. Pictures by Dave Ikin
Action from Raunds Town's 2-1 victory over Northampton Spencer at Kiln Park in Division One. Pictures by Dave Ikin

It was a good weekend for caretaker managers in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Andy Peaks enjoyed a winning start at the helm for AFC Rushden & Diamonds following Mark Starmer’s resignation during the week as maintained their bid for the runners-up position with a 2-1 victory over Wisbech Town at the Dog & Duck.

Raunds v Spencer

Raunds v Spencer

Fazel Koriya gave the hosts the lead and Matt Gearing missed a penalty before making amends by making it 2-0 before the break.

And Diamonds held on for the three points, despite Paul Cousins pulling a goal back with 10 minutes to go.

Wellingborough Town caretaker bosses Jason Turner and Stuart Smeathers also enjoyed a winning start as the Doughboys won their local derby at Desborough Town by a 3-2 scoreline.

In their first game since Craig Adams’ departure for Bedford Town, Wellingborough fell behind when new recruit Ryan Watkin put through his own net.

Raunds v Spencer

Raunds v Spencer

Nat Liburd headed home an equaliser before half-time but Desborough regained the lead when Michael Byrne struck five minutes into the second half.

However, the Doughboys fought back and Chris Davies brought them level for a second time before Turner capped a good day for him by scoring the winner, which was his 27th goal of the season.

Oadby Town will have to wait a bit longer before they can secure the Division One title after Rushden & Higham United picked up a superb 2-2 draw at Wigston Road.

Darren Farrar gave the Lankies the perfect start when he put them in front in the first minute.

Raunds v Spencer

Raunds v Spencer

But Cameron Powell levelled for the visitors four minutes before half-time and they seemed to be on course for another win when the prolific Jon Stevenson gave them the lead.

However, Aidy Mann’s team fought back and Craig Harrower earned them a point with nine minutes to go.

Thrapston Town piled the misery on Woodford United as they followed in the footsteps of Whitworth by smashing double figures past the bottom markers at Chancery Lane.

The hosts were stunned when Ife Ogunbayo put Woodford in front but once Jedd Whiteman had equalised, it was one-way traffic.

Raunds v Spencer

Raunds v Spencer

Cory James made it 2-1, Duncan Charles struck a brace and Ash Talbot ensured it was 5-1 by half-time.

There was no let up after the break as Jack Wisniewski made it six and that was followed by a quick-fire double from Kaine Clinton.

James added his second and it was Craig Jackson who had the final word when he rounded off the 10-1 scoreline in the last minute.

It was also a good day for Raunds Town as they claimed a notable 2-1 victory over Northampton Spencer at Kiln Park.

Craig Young gave the Shopmates a half-time lead and Nick Harrison gave them a cushion just past the hour mark. And they held on for the win, despite Matt Long finding the net with 15 minutes to go.

A late fightback was not enough for Burton Park Wanderers as they slipped to a 3-2 defeat at Peterborough Sports.

Goals from Ondre Odain, Kev Holt and Matty Cox saw the hosts 3-0 up inside 51 minutes.

Dan Spaughton pulled one back with 16 minutes to go and Cavell Jarvis set up a tense finish when he grabbed Wanderers’ second but they were unable to find an equaliser.

Whitworth gave promotion-chasing Eynesbury Rovers a scare before slipping to a 3-1 defeat.

Jamie White gave the Flourmen a surprise lead two minutes into the second half but Jack Weeden equalised before two goals in the last eight minutes sealed the home side’s victory as Lee Bassett and Steve Smith found the net.

Rothwell Corinthians also slipped to defeat against another of the promotion chasers Lutterworth Athletic, who claimed a 2-0 success thanks to goals from George Lee and Liam Barrett.

The scoreline was the same as Irchester United went down at St Neots Town Saints, who had Jordy Nkinga and Kaine Felix to thank for a victory which ended a run of three successive defeats.