Best of the season for Romans as they see off Sports

Action from Raunds Town's 5-0 defeat at ON Chenecks in the quarter-finals of the NFA Junior Cup. Pictures by Dave Ikin
Action from Raunds Town's 5-0 defeat at ON Chenecks in the quarter-finals of the NFA Junior Cup. Pictures by Dave Ikin

Irchester United picked up their most impressive win of the season so far in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Division One as they beat high-flying Peterborough Sports 1-0 at Alfred Street.

The Romans shipped six goals in the previous meeting between the two clubs but they turned the tables as Mapeo Mendes hit the winner with 15 minutes to go.

chenecks v raunds NNL-151001-211048009

chenecks v raunds NNL-151001-211048009

Whitworth’s promotion hopes suffered a blow as they were beaten 4-2 at home by Bugbrooke.

The visitors stunned the Flourmen with two goals in the first eight minutes from Ryan Ansell and Jake Cayton.

Deven Ellwood pulled one back before the break but Matt Johnson restored Bugbrooke’s two-goal advantage soon after half-time.

Cavell Jarvis got Whitworth back into it again but the visitors completed their win thanks to Ansell’s second of the game.

chenecks v raunds NNL-151001-211317009

chenecks v raunds NNL-151001-211317009

Rushden & Higham United were beaten 2-1 at home by Bourne Town, who held a 1-0 lead at the break thanks to Aaron Jesson.

Daryl Lawman’s penalty brought the Lankies level but Harley Williams grabbed the winner for the visitors.

The misery continues for Stewarts & Lloyds as they were beaten for the 24th time in as many matches.

Olney Town inflicted a 4-0 defeat on the Foundrymen thanks to goals from Aaron Murrell (2), Sam O’Neill and Drew Mitten.

chenecks v raunds NNL-151001-211207009

chenecks v raunds NNL-151001-211207009

It proved to be a miserable day for the local UCL Division One clubs in the quarter-finals of the NFA Junior Cup.

Rothwell Corinthians lost 3-1 on penalties to Northants Combination side JK Blisworth after a 2-2 draw.

Shaun Sparrow’s men appeared to be heading into the last four when Merson Styles and Cameron Starsmore put them 2-0 up after 74 minutes.

But the hosts hit back through Andrew Seaton and Dean Lewis in the final seven minutes before holding their nerve in the shoot-out.

It was a very similar story for Thrapston Town who also threw away a two-goal lead against a Combination side before they lost on penalties to Harpole.

Sean Markie gave the hosts the lead before Thrapston stormed back thanks to a Dan Bucciero double and Jack Wisniewski.

However, Harpole pulled a goal back through Stuart Clarke and the same player sent the game to a shoot-out in the last minute.

The outcome on penalties was the same for Thrapston as it was for Corinthians as Harpole won 3-1 in the shoot-out.

Raunds Town also missed out on a place in the semi-finals as they were thrashed 5-0 at fellow UCL side and cup holders ON Chenecks.

Ben Lewington hit a hat-trick for the hosts while Elliott Muddiman and Adam Hancock grabbed the other goals to complete the Shopmates’ misery.