Adams resigns as Doughboys boss to take charge at Bedford

Craig Adams has resigned as manager of Wellingborough Town to join Bedford Town
Craig Adams has resigned as manager of Wellingborough Town to join Bedford Town

Craig Adams has resigned as manager of Wellingboroug Town after being offered the vacant position at Bedford Town.

Doughboys chairman Martin Potton confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday night, shortly after Wellingborough had claimed a 3-1 victory at Wisbech Town to move up to seventh place in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Bedford are already doomed to the drop in the Calor League Premier Division but Adams will take over with immediate effect after a superb spell at the Dog & Duck.

He took over during last season with the club looking relegation certainties but took them on a fine run of form to escape the drop before rebuilding for this season, which has seen them in the top half of the table as well as in the semi-finals of the UCL Knockout Cup.

Potton said: “It is with regret that I have to announce the resignation of Craig Adams as manager of Wellingborough Town with immediate effect.”

“He is taking the position of manager at Bedford Town and leaves with our blessing.

“Craig has done a tremendous job for the club over the last 18months taking us from the brink of relegation to where we are today and I thank him for all his efforts and he deserves the chance to manage at a higher level.

“Craig will be taking Jamie Wright and Brian Mapley with him and we also wish them well.

“In the interim two senior players Jason Turner and Stuart Smeathers will look after team affairs until further notice.”

Adams’ final game in charge couldn’t have gone much better as his team avenged an opening-day defeat to Wisbech.

Scott Cross put Wellingborough in front before Adam Millson brought the hosts level before the break.

But two goals in the first eight minutes of the second half from Cross and Rob Parker secured the points for the Doughboys.

Elsewhere, it was a terrific night for Desborough Town as they produced one of their best results of the season to win 2-1 at second-placed AFC Rushden & Diamonds in the local derby at the Dog & Duck.

The hosts were 1-0 up at the break thanks to Alfie Taylor’s 50th goal for the club.

But it was Michael Byrne who stole the headlines as he headed Desborough level on 67 minutes before grabbing the winner late on.

In Division One, Burton Park Wanderers made it five games without defeat as they held promotion-chasing Eynesbury Rovers to a 1-1 draw at Latimer Park.

The visitors took the lead through Tom Coles but Luke Raftery levelled before half-time.

Raunds Town went down 4-1 at second-placed Harrowby United as Lee Shaw’s double put the hosts in control before Luke Stevens gave the Shopmates hope.

However, Martin Wormall struck twice in seven second-half minutes to seal Harrowby’s victory.

Irchester United were beaten 3-0 at home by Northampton Spencer, who took the lead through Luke Stone’s penalty before Jack Bartley doubled the advantage before the break.

And Paul Pickering rounded things off for the visitors on 58 minutes.

Having hit 16 against Woodford United at the weekend, Whitworth were unable to find the net in midweek as Bourne Town claimed a 1-0 success at London Road thanks to Dan Mason’s early goal.