A magnificent seven as Diamonds march on

Action from Stewarts & Lloyds' 4-0 defeat at Bugbrooke. Pictures by Dave Ikin
Action from Stewarts & Lloyds' 4-0 defeat at Bugbrooke. Pictures by Dave Ikin

AFC Rushden & Diamonds maintained their relentless charge towards the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division title with a 7-1 success at Huntingdon Town.

A week on from hitting nine at Desborough Town, the leaders were in rampant mood again as they ensured they held on to their seven-point advantage at the top of the table.

Things didn’t start too well for Andy Peaks’ side as they went 1-0 down inside the first minute when Ben Colmer struck for the hosts.

But Diamonds responded with former Huntingdon skipper Declan Rogers heading them level before Matt Gearing’s penalty gave them a 2-1 half-time lead.

It was one-way traffic after the break with another Rogers header being followed by four goals in seven minutes.

Adam Confue made it 4-1 before Tom Lorraine and Sam Brown also got in on the act.

Bugbrook v S&L Corby NNL-150228-194249009

Bugbrook v S&L Corby NNL-150228-194249009

Fittingly, it was Rogers who had the final say as he completed his hat-trick and the scoring to seal his former club’s fate.

Jake Newman’s superb form in front of goal continued as Wellingborough Town battled back from 2-0 and 4-2 down to draw 4-4 with Peterborough Northern Star at the Dog & Duck.

Goals from Phil Stebbing and Luke Avi gave the visitors a 2-0 lead inside the first six minutes but it was 2-2 soon after as Adam Randall pulled one back before Newman equalised.

Northern Star regained the lead before the break through Josh Sanders and when Jason Kilbride made it 4-2 to the visitors 10 minutes into the second half, the game looked to be over.

Bugbrook v S&L Corby NNL-150228-194237009

Bugbrook v S&L Corby NNL-150228-194237009

However, Newman pulled one back from the spot with 10 minutes to go and then earned an unlikely point with a long-range effort.

Whitworth came close to ending Northampton Spencer’s long unbeaten run in Division One but eventually had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Kingsthorpe Mill.

James Gorman put the Flourmen in front and they held a 2-1 lead at the break with Remy Brittain on target after Ryan Lovell had levelled.

But Whitworth couldn’t hold on in the second half as Ryan Dove grabbed the home side’s equaliser with eight minutes to go.

Bugbrook v S&L Corby NNL-150228-194225009

Bugbrook v S&L Corby NNL-150228-194225009

Thrapston Town enjoyed a 3-0 win over Woodford United at Chancery Lane as all the goals came in the second half.

Dom Bucciero put them in front soon after the restart before further goals from Jack Wisniewski and Stef Gatting rounded off a home win.

Rushden & Higham United claimed an excellent 0-0 draw at high-flying Potton United and there was some welcome relief for Irchester United as they beat Blackstones 3-2 at Alfred Street.

Marcus Dowman gave the visitors the lead but the Romans turned it around before the break thanks to Sam Dengel’s penalty and a goal from Moses Rodrigues.

Dowman’s second of the game brought Blackstones level again but Irchester boss Steve Sargent, on as a substitute, saw his cross headed home by Dengel with five minutes to go as the home side celebrated a much-needed victory.

Rock-bottom Stewarts & Lloyds slipped to another defeat as they had two players sent off in their 4-0 loss at Bugbrooke, who had Ryan Ansell (2), Steve Botterill and Jake Clayton on target.