10-man Diamonds make it two out of two

Andy Peaks' AFC Rushden & Diamonds side claimed a fine 4-1 victory at Peterborough Northern Star
Andy Peaks' AFC Rushden & Diamonds side claimed a fine 4-1 victory at Peterborough Northern Star

AFC Rushden & Diamonds made it two wins out of two in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division with a superb 4-1 win at Peterborough Northern Star.

And the victory was all-the-more impressive as Andy Peaks’ team had to play just over half of the match with only 10 men.

The visitors took the lead through Fazel Koriya but they were pegged back by Jake Kilbride’s fine free-kick on 28 minutes.

The task got tough for Diamonds when Jack Ashton received a straight red card before the break but they regained the lead early in the second half when Matt Gearing converted from the penalty spot after a foul on Adam Confue.

Confue himself made it 3-1 just past the hour and an impressive victory was confirmed when Jason Turner struck in stoppage-time.

Desborough Town suffered a heavy 5-1 defeat at AFC Kempston Rovers despite taking an early lead thanks to Michael Byrne’s penalty.

But it was downhill from there as Scott Joseph levelled before Grant Fryer put the hosts in front before half-time.

Joseph made it 3-1 and then completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Aaron Davies had been sent off for the incident that led to it.

And a miserable afternoon for Ar Tarn was rounded off Ben Gallant on 78 minutes.

Wellingborough Town slipped to a third defeat in as many games as they went down 2-0 at home to Boston Town.

Both goals came in the first half with Jordan Nuttell putting the Poachers in front before Tim Lowe doubled the advantage.

Ben Morgan’s early double strike secured a third win in four matches for Thrapston Town in Division One as they beat Northampton Spencer 2-0 at Kingsthorpe Mill.

Morgan struck after just two minutes and added another soon after in what proved to be the last goal of the game.

Raunds Town and Whitworth both maintained their unbeaten records in a 0-0 draw at Kiln Park on Friday night.

Rothwell Corinthians survived a late fightback from Woodford United as they sealed a 3-2 victory.

The visitors went in front inside the first minute through Dom Page and they were 2-0 up at half-time thanks to Cameron Starsmore.

Andy White looked to have wrapped up the points when he grabbed the third but Corinthians had to hold on after Tommy Waldock struck twice to set up a tense finale.

Jimmy Simpson celebrated his first win as manager of Burton Park Wanderers as they won 1-0 at Buckingham Town.

Leigh Chapman grabbed the only goal of the game on 73 minutes to secure the points.

Rushden & Higham United were on the end of a fightback from Olney Town, who claimed a 2-1 success at Hayden Road.

The Lankies looked to be heading for all three points when Jordan Pendered opened the scoring just past the half-hour.

But Olney equalised through Jamie Burrows on 72 minutes before Deanio Bailey-Brown grabbed a late winner for the visitors.

Irchester United were edged out 3-2 by St Neots Town Saints, who claimed their first win of the season.

Chae Simons gave the hosts the advantage but Jake Gillingwater levelled things up soon after half-time.

But a Dave Boddington own-goal saw Saints regain the lead and Dan Hobbs secured the points, despite Jack Dyson pulling another back for the Romans late on.

Stewarts & Lloyds’ search for a first point of the season goes on after they were condemned to a fourth straight defeat by Potton United at Occupation Road.

The visitors were 3-0 winners thanks to Courtney Boughton’s first-half hat-trick.