Moreman fires Steelmen through in FA Cup

Corby Town v Colwyn Bay'Corby Town manager Chris Plummer (right) and assistant trainer Mark Peters.
Corby Town v Colwyn Bay'Corby Town manager Chris Plummer (right) and assistant trainer Mark Peters.

Two brilliant second-half goals from Josh Moreman saw Corby Town see off the challenge of Leamington as they booked their place in Monday’s draw for the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The Steelmen recovered after falling behind early on at Steel Park as Tom McGowan grabbed his first goal for the club before half-time.

But the second period was all about Moreman, who is having few problems in adjusting to life at a higher level with the Steelmen.

His first was all about a good touch and finish while his second was a bit of individual brilliance. A little gem may well have been unearthed with him coming

Leamington started brightly and they couldn’t have asked for a better start.

Just four minutes were on the clock when Tom Berwick beat the offside trap and squared for Matt Dodd who fired home with the aid of the post, much to the delight of the healthy following of away fans.

That stunned the Steelmen but, slowly and surely, they worked their way back into things.

They came mightily close to an equaliser when Avelino Vieira’s rising shot smacked off the top of the bar and Ryan Semple really should have scored when he was unable to get his head on Jason Crowe’s cross.

But both Vieira and Semple had a hand in the equaliser on 37 minutes.

Semple crossed from the right, Josh Moreman headed it up into the six-yard box and Vieira caused all sorts of havoc before Tom McGowan arrived on cue to head home from close range.

And Corby’s momentum continued early in the second half as a positional change paid off in perfect style.

Moreman and Vieira were swapped over with the former being down the middle of a front three.

And Moreman took a ball over the top down perfectly, barged his way through a couple of chances and then beat Kevin Sawyer with a perfect finish.

Moreman was unlucky not to make it 3-1 when his terrific strike bounced off the top of the crossbar and it was the Steelmen who continued to carve out the better chances.

McGowan’s chip went just over the bar while Moreman was denied by a fine save from Sawyer after a quick counter-attack.

But the deserved third goal finally arrived 10 minutes from the end.

Moreman got away on the right and skipped past Liam Daly’s challenge. And the frontman sprinted into the area before firing home his second of the afternoon.

There were a few nervous moments towards the end after Sam Adkins’ deflected free-kick beat Paul Walker.

But the Steelmen got the win their performance deserve and a second successive victory at home to boot.

Steelmen (4-3-3): Walker; Briand, Malone, Galinski, Crowe (sub Fox, 86 mins); Ives, Wedderburn, McGowan (sub Webb, 81 mins); Semple, Vieira (sub McKenzie, 72 mins), Moreman. Subs not used: Ingram, Kaziboni, Miller, Manga.

Leamington (4-4-2): Sawyer; Mace Hood, Daly, Morley; Dodd (sub Taylor, 72 mins), Chilton, Magunda (sub Adkins, 78 mins), Batchelor (sub Owen, 41 mins); Berwick, Moore. Subs not used: Husband, Tuohy, Quirke, O’Neill.

Referee: Michael George.

Goals: Dodd (4 mins, 0-1), McGowan (37 mins, 1-1), Moreman (49 mins, 2-1), Moreman (80 mins, 3-1), Adkins (90 mins, 3-2).

Bookings: Wedderburn, Magunda (both fouls), Berwick (unsporting).

Attendance: 516.