MIDWEEK SPORT '“ Weir-Daley at the double for Poppies, Steelmen draw again but Diamonds are beaten

Kettering Town produced a fine second-half fightback as they returned to winning ways in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division with a 3-1 success at Redditch United.

Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 9:42 pm
Updated Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 10:45 pm
All the details from tonight's football action

The Poppies fell behind on 14 minutes in the clash at Bedworth United’s home ground when Redditch broke quickly and Jordon Jones was on hand to convert a cross into the area.

Kettering had chances with Callum Westwood and Ben Stephens going close while Spencer Weir-Daley, on as a second-half substitute, forced the home goalkeeper into a save.

But the Poppies did draw level on 65 minutes when the ball broke to Westwood and shot low into the bottom corner.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And just eight minutes later, the Poppies were in front as a fine ball from Rene Howe was finished off by Weir-Daley.

Kettering wrapped things up six minutes from full-time when Weir-Daley headed home his second from a fine delivery from James Brighton.

Connor Kennedy was sent-off late on as Corby Town claimed a second draw in a row in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division.

The Steelmen opened their account for the season on 19 minutes when Callum Ball headed them in front at Halesowen Town

But the hosts drew level on the stroke of half-time when Ethan Delaney stabbed the ball home from close-range.

That was how it finished but Kennedy was red-carded in stoppage-time for allegedly stamping on an opponent.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds slipped to a second defeat in a row at the start of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South season as their first home game ended in a 3-1 defeat to Chasetown.

There were plenty of chances in an entertaining first half with the best for Diamonds being a Dolman free-kick which was tipped over by John Bateman while Matt Finlay had earlier saved well from Nathan Rooney’s 20-yard strike.

Diamonds took the lead on 36 minutes when Dolman thumped the ball home after it fell to him following Richard Bunting’s effort being blocked by his own team-mate Brad Harris.

But Chasetown levelled before the break when Mitchell Piggon headed a corner back across goal and James Dance beat Finlay with a close-range header.

Things were calmer after the break but it was Chasetown who went in front when Dolman was adjudged to have handled Matthias Curley’s cross in the area.

The penalty was given and Rooney stepped up to fire home from the penalty spot.

And Chasetown sealed the points 19 minutes from the end when Ryan Wynter headed into the corner from Rooney’s cross.