MIDWEEK SPORT '“ Steelmen pick up another point but Diamonds and Poppies are both beaten

Corby Town gained another point towards safety in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division as they drew 0-0 at Rushall Olympic.

Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 8:46 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:06 am
All the details from tonight's local football action

Neither side was able to find a breakthrough as the Steelmen moved to within a point of Marine, who are just above the relegation zone, as they were beaten at home by Workington.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds’ play-off hopes in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South suffered another setback as they went down 2-0 to title-chasing Witton Albion at the Dog & Duck.

Witton had the better of things in the first half and took the lead when Steven Tames scored from close-range after Ben Heath’s save from Thomas Owens sent the ball high up into the air.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And they were unlucky not to double that lead when Bradley Bauress’ shot came back off the inside of the post just before half-time.

Diamonds were better after the break but they were out of luck when Taylor Orosz’s fine strike hit the inside of the post.

And Witton doubled their lead on 67 minutes when Robert Hopley hammered home from close-range following a cross from the right.

That proved to be the hammer blow for Diamonds as, despite a big effort, they were unable to find a goal to get back into it.

Kettering Town were well beaten as they lost 3-0 at title-chasing Leamington in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

The Poppies handed first league start to youngster Jack O’Connor and they had the first chance when Lewis Hornby had an early free-kick tipped over by Tony Breeden.

But it was Leamington who opened the scoring when Rob Thompson-Brown pounced on a loose ball and fired it into the top corner.

And it was 2-0 before the break when former Poppies man Courtney Baker-Richardson headed home a Thompson-Brown corner.

The game was up for Kettering when Thompson-Brown converted from the penalty spot with 17 minutes to go after Ahmed Obeng had been brought down.

There was no way back for Marcus Law’s team after that as they slumped to a third defeat in a row.