Wright: Steelmen are in the frame

Ben Milnes is available for Corby Town again this weekend after he served a three-match suspension
Ben Milnes is available for Corby Town again this weekend after he served a three-match suspension

Tommy Wright believes the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division table is beginning to take shape.

And with that being the case, Corby Town are gearing up for possibly their biggest game of the season so far when they take on Dunstable Town at Steel Park tomorrow (Saturday).

Back-to-back away wins at Chippenham Town and Hereford United this week saw the Steelmen move back up to fifth place in the standings while Dunstable, a team Corby beat on the second day of the season, are third.

This weekend’s clash has been brought forward from its original date of October 22 after both sides were left with a blank Saturday due to their scheduled opponents still being involved in the FA Cup.

And Wright believes his team are “in the frame” to challenge at the right end of the table, although he is hoping that their two successive victories are the start of a consistent good run of form.

“Both clubs have other reasons than the obvious to go and try to win on Saturday,” the Corby boss said.

“We went behind after just a few seconds but battled our way back to win at Dunstable in August and they will want to come here and put things right.

“From our point of view, I will be telling the lads it’s an opportunity to take six points off a team that will be up there at the end of the season.

“I think the league is starting to take shape and we have put ourselves in the frame. But we know that a couple of poor results can set you right back.

“We haven’t really gone on any sort of run yet and hopefully this past week can be the start of something.

“We have got that bit of consistency I asked for. Now we have to take each game as it comes.

“The next one just happens to be a tough one and I am looking forward to seeing where we are.”

The Steelmen will have Ben Milnes available again after he completed a three-match suspension as his team-mates claimed a 2-1 success at Hereford on Tuesday.