Wright happy as table-topping Steelmen apply the pressure

Steelmen manager Tommy Wright
Steelmen manager Tommy Wright

Tommy Wright was delighted to see Corby Town apply the pressure on their rivals at the top of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division last night (Monday).

Just a couple of days on from the 1-1 home draw with Hungerford Town, the Steelmen extended their unbeaten run to nine matches with a 4-2 success at Hitchin Town.

The victory, which came courtesy of goals from Wilson Carvalho, Elliott Chamberlain, Cleveland Taylor and Edi Appleton, was enough to send Corby back to the top of the table on goal difference from Weymouth.

The Terras, Poole Town and Redditch United are all due to be in action this evening.

And Wright knows his players will be watching on with interest to see what happens as they now turn their attention to Saturday’s clash with Cambridge City at Steel Park.

“We said before the Truro game that the next four would be massive games for us against teams who, if they had a little run, would be right in the thick of things,” the Steelmen boss said.

“And we have been picking up points. If you include what we did at Truro, it’s seven points from nine and now we have to be ready for Cambridge City on Saturday.

“Hitchin and Hungerford are two teams who have proved they will take points off others and I am sure that will be the case as the season goes on.

“Two or three weeks ago, we were in a situation where if Weymouth and Poole won their games in hand then they would be 18 points clear of us.

“We have managed to halve that in that space of time and now we have put the pressure on them again, which is all we can do.

“I am sure our boys will be keeping an eye on what happens tonight but we just have to keep applying the pressure.

“We can’t control what happens tonight and, like I have said time and again, all we can do is keep doing our bit.”

As far as last night’s performance was concerned, Wright admitted his team “weren’t playing how I wanted” despite making a flying start and going 2-0 up inside 16 minutes.

“We looked dangerous from the start but we weren’t playing how I wanted us to,” he added.

“All the incentives were there for us, we knew if we won by two goals then we would be back on top without the three points we deserve from the Truro game.

“But we seemed to be a bit shaky at the back and there were a few nerves in there but we still managed to get ourselves 2-0 up early on.

“Every time we went forward we looked like we could score and that carried on through the whole game, I was a bit disappointed we didn’t find a few more goals.

“But I did have a bit of a go at the lads at half-time because we conceded a poor goal and we have to be careful that we don’t let sides back into games.”