Weir-Daley keeps Steelmen on course at the top

Steelmen boss Tommy Wright
Steelmen boss Tommy Wright

Spencer Weir-Daley came off the bench to fire Corby Town to a sixth win in a row as they kicked off 2015 with a 1-0 victory over Histon at Steel Park.

The striker had only been on the pitch for a few minutes when he struck the winner with 19 minutes to go.

The win meant Corby maintained their title bid in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division and with it being a lunchtime kick-off, it also sent them top with the other contenders in action this afternoon.

Unsurprisingly, Tommy Wright named an unchanged starting line-up following the fine 4-2 success at St Neots Town on Boxing Day.

But there was a welcome sight on the bench with Weir-Daley back in the squad following a bout of illness.

The Steelmen had the better of things in the opening period but were frustrated as the woodwork denied them on two occasions.

Ben Milnes struck a post and Greg Mills hit the underside of the crossbar as the Histon goal came under siege.

But the best chance to open the scoring came just before the break when Wilson Carvalho was fouled by Liam McDonald, although it appeared to be outside the area.

However, a penalty was awarded but Denzel Gerrar dived to his left to save Mills’ spot-kick.

Mills was out of luck in the second half when he hit the bar again and Histon had a chance of their own when Salim Relizani charged down a clearance and got in on goal but fired wide.

But the game changed with the introduction of Weir-Daley with just over 20 minutes to go.

He had only been on the pitch a short while when he was played in by Mills and slotted home under Gerrar.

That proved to be the only goal of the game as the highest attendance of the season so far at Steel Park were able to celebrate another victory.

Steelmen: Walker; Thomas, Malone, Appleton, Anton; Taylor, Byrne; Carvalho, Milnes, Mills; Chamberlain. Subs: Kennedy, Donkin, Hartley, Weir-Daley, Wright.

Histon: Gerrar, McDonald, White, Key, Rumens, Libertucci, McCoy, Lowe, Kuzimski, Clark, Relizani. Subs: McGeorge, North, Fulcher, Phillips, Freeman.

Referee: Matthew Smith.

Goal: Weir-Daley (71 mins, 1-0),

Attendance: 626.