Ten-man Steelmen hold on for another win

Steelmen boss Tommy Wright
Steelmen boss Tommy Wright
Share this article

Elliott Chamberlain’s first goal for Corby Town secured another win in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

But that didn’t quite tell the full story from a tense Steel Park as the Steelmen battled away for more than 25 minutes with just 10 men after Edi Appleton was sent off for deliberate handball.

Corby were 2-0 up thanks to Spencer Weir-Daley and Chamberlain but Cirencester replied with a penalty, which came as a result of Appleton’s handball.

And from there, the Steelmen showed their gritty side by literally putting their bodies on the line as they made it six matches without defeat in all competitions.

Tommy Wright was forced into one change from the team that started last weekend’s 3-0 success at Burnham with Shane Byrne ruled out with a hamstring injury.

Wilson Carvalho came into the starting line-up while captain Paul Malone missed out again due to a back problem.

It was a fairly open start with both sides trying to get on the front foot and the visitors went close when Ed Williams cut into the box unchallenged from the left but sent his shot wide of the post.

However, the Steelmen reacted well and produced the first real moment of quality as they took the lead on 17 minutes.

Weir-Daley started the move as he released Greg Mills down the left. He beat his marker and drove the ball across the face of goal where the in-form striker had arrived to fire home from close-range.

Then came the bizarre moment as one of the referee’s assistants pulled up with an injury.

After a delay of around seven minutes, it was finally agreed that Steelmen assistant-manager and substitute goalkeeper Clarke would do the honours.

He didn’t have many decisions to make for the rest of the half, however.

The Steelmen went close when Elliott Chamberlain’s shot was deflected over the crossbar after more good work from Mills.

But Cirencester really should have equalised when Gethin Jones blasted over at the far post with the goal at his mercy after a free-kick.

However, the Steelmen came out with renewed purpose and doubled their advantage just three minutes after the restart.

Weir-Daley was the architect this time as he flicked the ball into the path of Chamberlain and he produced a sublime lob over Glyn Garner to finally open his account for the Steelmen.

Ben Milnes blasted a half-volley just wide but the flashpoint came just past the hour when, during a scramble which saw Paul Walker make a fine save, Appleton handled a goal-bound effort on the line.

He was immediately shown red and Nat Jarvis fired home from the spot to ensure a nervous last 27 minutes or so.

Wright threw on Curtis Hartley and Liam McInally to try to firm things up and, in general, the Steelmen did a terrific job in restricting the visitors to only half chances.

There were blocks in the area and bodies being thrown in places they really shouldn’t have been.

But held on they did to maintain this impressive run. With battling qualities like that, some may say anything is possible for this Corby team.

Steelmen: Walker; Kennedy, Anton, Appleton, Thomas; Taylor, Milnes; Carvalho (sub Hartley, 62 mins), Weir-Daley (sub May, 85 mins), Mills (sub McInally, 68 mins); Chamberlain. Subs not used: Clarke, Crawford.

Cirencester: Garner; Jones (sub Wells, 86 mins), Pritchett, Henry, Prictor; Bennett, Mortimer-Jones, Liddiard, Hooper, Williams; Jarvis. Subs not used: Dale, Dunton.

Referee: Ben Cooke.

Goals: Weir-Daley (17 mins, 1-0), Chamberlain (48 mins, 2-0), Jarvis pen (62 mins, 2-1),

Bookings: Hooper, Prictor (both fouls), Milnes (kicking ball away).

Sending-off: Appleton (deliberate handball).

Attendance: 502.