Steelmen move five points clear at the summit

Corby Town manager Tommy Wright and his assistant David Clarke
Corby Town manager Tommy Wright and his assistant David Clarke

Corby Town moved five points clear at the top of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division thanks to a 2-1 success at Histon.

The Steelmen pulled clear of Poole Town, who suffered a shock 2-1 defeat at Dorchester Town, as first-half goals from Greg Mills and Cleveland Taylor secured another win for Corby.

Tommy Wright made three changes to the team that started in the 3-1 success at Bideford on Saturday.

Paul Walker returned in goal and captained the Steelmen on his 150th appearance for the club.

Spencer Weir-Daley was also included from the start as was Stephan Morley after both had been on the bench on Saturday.

The Steelmen made a great start, although there were some protests when they were awarded a penalty for handball on 17 minutes.

Nonetheless, Mills stepped up and made no mistake from 12 yards.

And it was 2-0 on the half-hour when skipper Taylor stepped up to fire a free-kick low into the net.

Shane Byrne had an effort cleared off the line before the break but Histon did pull a goal back early in the second period when Nick Freeman nicked the ball away from Walker and Evan Key prodded home.

The hosts did have the ball in the net again but Geoff Mitchell’s effort was ruled out for offside.

Histon’s cause wasn’t helped when Miles Smith was shown a straight red card for pushing a Corby player.

Mills went close after a mazy run for the Steelmen but they didn’t need another goal as they secured the points to stay on top.

Histon: Ordonez, Smith, White, Key, Rumens, McGeorge, Ives, Auger, Mitchell, Clark, Freeman. Subs: Bevins, McLaughlin, Fulcher, McCoy, Relizani.

Steelmen: Walker, Thomas, Anton, N’Goma, Morley, Gascoigne, Byrne, Carvalho, Taylor, Mills, Weir-Daley. Subs: Kennedy, Donkin, Hoban, Chamberlain, Wright.

Goals: Mills pen (17 mins, 0-1), Taylor (30 mins, 0-2), Key (51 mins, 1-2).