Steelmen in big trouble after Workington defeat

Chris Plummer
Chris Plummer

Corby Town remain in deep trouble at the wrong end of the Blue Square Bet North after they suffered a third defeat in their last four games.

The Steelmen made a disastrous start as they found themselves 2-0 down to Workington after 19 minutes before having Lewis Webb sent off as the visitors went on to claim a 3-1 success.

And, with third-from-bottom Colwyn Bay claiming a 1-0 home success over Gainsborough Trinity, it means the Steelmen are just six points clear of the relegation zone with Colwyn still having three games in hand.

Boss Chris Plummer made just one change from the side that were beaten 2-0 at FC Halifax on Thursday night as Sam Ives returned to replace the injured Gareth Jelleyman.

Ives slotted straight in at left-back but the Steelmen suffered a disastrous start as they fell behind inside the first two minutes.

Carl Piergianni had already made a good last-ditch challenge to deny Gareth Arnison. But the resulting corner found its way back to the taker Mark Boyd, he drove a low cross in and Piergianni could only bundle the ball into his own net as Arnison put the pressure on.

But if that was bad, worse was to follow for Corby and Piergianni. The Steelmen struggled to get into the contest and, on 19 minutes, Piergianni’s attempted header back to goalkeeper Paul Walker lacked power and Jacob Hazel nipped in to lob the ball home.

And it only got worse for the hosts as, just a minute after that second goal, they found themselves a man down. Lewis Webb went in on Jonny Wright with a poor challenge and referee Stephen Ross was in no doubt as he dished out a red card.

At that point, the shoulders and heads of the Corby players seemed to drop, they looked beaten.

But the spark the 10 men desperately needed came eight minutes before half-time when Ryan Semple’s perfect free-kick found its way onto the head of Paul Malone who powered it past Aaran Taylor.

Ives shot wide soon after following a fine crossfield pass from Nat Wedderburn, who also saw an effort deflected off target as Corby finally grew into the contest despite the numerical disadvantage.

Workington started the second half the better with Wright sending a shot across goal before Hazel got in and beat Walker with a shot but Piergianni got back to clear the danger.

And the visitors did extend their lead on 58 minutes when Wright got away and drove into the area before pulling the ball back from the by-line for Arnison to finish it off.

That goal proved to be the one that ended the game as a contest, although Corby really should have been back in it with 13 minutes to go when substitute Josh Moreman got through on goal but Taylor denied him with a decent save with his legs.

That was as good as it got for the Steelmen as the game petered out with little incident.

Corby still face a massive fight to stay in the division and they only have two games to play. Six points may now be a must but it is now out of their hands.

Steelmen: Walker; Crowe (sub Galinski, 67 mins), Malone, Piergianni, Ives; Wedderburn; Semple, Abalimba, Webb, Vieira; King (sub Moreman, 51 mins). Subs not used: Cuffy, Harrison, Greer.

Workington: Taylor; Andrews, Johnson, Wordsworth, Rowntree; Cowperthwaite, Boyd (sub A Wright, 71 mins), Hewson; Hazel (sub Connerton, 71 mins), J Wright, Arnison (sub Tinnion, 80 mins). Subs not used: Bannister, Manship.

Referee: Stephen Ross.

Goals: Piegianni og (2 mins, 0-1), Hazel (19 mins, 0-2), Malone (37 mins, 1-2), Arnison (58 mins, 1-3).

Sending-off: Webb (foul).

Attendance: 314.