Steelmen impress as first victory arrives

Mark Peters
Mark Peters

Corby Town claimed their first win of the Calor League Premier Division campaign as a decent performance was rewarded with a 3-1 success over Hinckley United.

It made it a haul of four points from the bank holiday weekend for interim manager Mark Peters, who will have done his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis no harm at all following a 1-1 draw at Arlesey Town on Saturday.

Despite falling behind early on, the Steelmen always seemed to be in control against the Knitters and their second-half performance, in particular, merited the final outcome.

Peters made one change to the team that started the draw at Arlesey with Liam Hurst coming in for the injured Chris Carruthers.

It meant Corby started with a back three of Sam Ives, Paul Malone and Gareth Jelleyman with Nabil Shariff and Tom James playing in wing-back roles in a 3-5-2 formation.

The Steelmen started the brighter but it was the visitors who struck first after just 10 minutes.

Malone’s heavy back-pass was too strong for Paul Walker and it gave Hinckley a corner. And it wasn’t defended well enough as Luke Richards rose unmarked to head home Ben Ford’s set-piece.

But Corby’s response to that was quick and Malone, in particular, helped make amends.

Tom James sent a free-kick towards the far post, Malone knocked the ball back across goal and David Moyo had the simple task of nodding in his first goal since joining on a month’s loan from Northampton Town.

The remainder of the half was fairly scrappy. Corby had the majority of possession but struggled to carve out any clear-cut chances, although Shariff did sent a long range effort over the crossbar.

But Shariff did get it wonderfully right just four minutes into the second half.

Corby started with purpose after the break and, after the third of three successive corners was only cleared to Malone, he played in Shariff on the left. He cut inside a defender and gave Denham Hinds no chance with a superb strike into the far corner.

The Steelmen looked comfortable after taking the lead and they almost added a third when Charlton did well to clear for a corner after Moyo attacked Liam Hurst’s cross from the left.

Hurst tested Hinds from distance and the goalkeeper just held on to the fierce effort. But the midfielder, who is on loan from Cambridge United, was not to be denied.

The clock had just ticked over into stoppage-time when Shariff found James and his low cross was met by Hurst who rounded off a fine afternoon with the Steelmen’s third.

Steelmen: Walker; Ives, Malone, Jelleyman; Shariff, McGowan, Hurst, Ingram, James; Berwick (sub Moreman, 81 mins), Moyo. Subs not used: Vieira, Lamb-Johnson, Ashton, Arber.

Hinckley: Hinds; Moran, Bryan, Cartwright, Charlton; Dubidat, Ford, Walters (sub Pickering, 32 mins), Degville-Cross; Richards (sub Branch, 65 mins), Islam (sub Stevenson, 71 mins). Subs: Sturgess, Kisel.

Referee: David Avent.

Goals: Richards (10 mins, 0-1), Moyo (14 mins, 1-1), Shariff (49 mins, 2-1), Hurst (90 mins, 3-1).

Bookings: Walters, Berwick, Charlton, Shariff (all fouls),

Attendance: 302.