Steelmen dumped out of the FA Cup by Norton

Corby Town manager Tommy Wright
Corby Town manager Tommy Wright
Share this article

Corby Town were dumped out of the FA Cup by lower-ranked opposition as Norton United claimed a 2-1 victory in the first qualifying round replay.

Spencer Weir-Daley grabbed his first goal for the Steelmen after they had fallen 2-0 behind.

But, despite numerous chances, Corby were unable to find an equaliser as Norton advanced to a second qualifying round home clash with Spalding United a week on Saturday.

There was some news in the build-up to the game after the club confirmed left-sided player Lewis Jackson, who arrived at Steel Park over the summer, had been released.

And there were further changes to the Steelmen team after they had thrown away leads of 2-0 and 3-1 at the weekend with boss Tommy Wright bringing himself back into the starting line-up.

Akin Daramola and Curtis Hartley were also restored to the 11 while there was no place in the squad for Kalern Thomas or Cleveland Taylor, whose partner gave birth to their baby daughter earlier in the day.

Things started badly for the Steelmen as they fell behind after just seven minutes.

Connor Kennedy was penalised for handball after a cross from the left and Tom Winkle stepped up to beat Paul Walker from the penalty spot.

Corby looked to respond and Ben Milnes saw a shot tipped over by home goalkeeper Chris Fletcher before he also denied Wright with the Steelmen too hesitant to react to the follow-up.

Walker saved well from Lee Cropper after he got through on goal but Corby finished the half well with Weir-Daley forcing Fletcher into another save.

Substitute Mills hit the side-netting early in the second half and he also forced Fletcher into a decent save from a free-kick.

But the Steelmen were hit by a sucker-punch on 56 minutes when the hosts doubled their advantage as Cropper latched on to a long ball and went round Walker before finding the net.

Corby’s response, however, was swift as Weir-Daley flicked home Wright’s cross to give them a lifeline.

Cropper shot over soon after that goal but Fletcher was busy again when he denied Paul Malone as Corby pushed for the equaliser.

Both Milnes and home goalscorer Winkle saw red in the final 10 minutes to leave it at 10-a-side.

But, despite some late pressure which also saw Walker come up for a late corner, the Steelmen were unable to force the game into extra-time.

So Corby’s interest in the FA Cup has been ended at the first hurdle. Wright will surely be looking for a big response when they return to Southern League Premier Division duty at home to Paulton Rovers on Saturday.

Steelmen: Walker, Kennedy, Malone, Appleton, Hartley, Daramola, Milnes, Byrne, Wright, Weir-Daley, Carvalho. Subs: Peprah, Clarke, Mills, Crawford, Bentley.

Goals: Winkle pen (7 mins, 1-0), Cropper (56 mins, 2-0), Weir-Daley (62 mins, 2-1).