Steelmen and Histon fire blanks

Chris Plummer
Chris Plummer

Steel Park witnessed it’s first ever goalless draw as the Steelmen and Histon played out a blank.

The visitors were the better of the contestants, especially in the first half, but neither looked likely to score and if they had kept going until midnight that probably wouldn’t have changed.

After a bright opening, the hosts squandered a decent early opportunity when Greg Kaziboni elected to take a touch too many when it would’ve been easier to shoot.

It was pleasing to see both sides attempting to play through the midfield despite the poor nature of the surface and James Stevenson weakly shot straight at Paul Walker as Histon began to find their feet in the contest.

Lewis Taaffe then proceeded to skew an effort embarrassingly wide of the target - no left foot obviously - after working his way through but it was a clear sign that one side was growing in stature while the other was doing the opposite.

Kaziboni was the Steelmen’s chief outlet with plenty of room to play with on the left-hand side but his end product would’ve been poor if it actually existed.

Both Stevenson and Jay Dowie failed to make the most of chances when they were given way too much space as time and again the visitors made inroads.

An inability to get hold of possession was proving to be a hindrance to Corby who, one or two aside, looked to be well off the pace.

But just shy of the half-time whistle, Sam Ives, following a quick break and a blocked shot from Kaziboni, dragged a shot just across the goal, a turn of events that constituted a first effort in over half an hour’s action.

The interval came at precisely the right time for Chris Plummer’s men but normal service was resumed as Taaffe’s swirling shot forced Walker into a scrambling save in the first minute of the second period.

The same man then ended a slick move as he shot straight at Walker as the score, somehow, remained at 0-0.

There were signs of a Corby resurgence as Ryan Semple hammered a strike into Calum Kitscha’s midriff from a tight angle and the share of both territory and possession increased.

Avelino Vieira then proceeded to produce a piece of lunacy as, clean through on goal, he passed to the unmarked and offside Josh Moreman rather than shoot.

It would be a touch harsh to say this summed up what had gone before but if you can’t shoot when offered a golden chance, then what can you do?

The offender almost made amends with a shot that was pushed wide and from the resulting corner Paul Malone thrashed wide while at the other end, Grant Roberts hit the post as everything opened up a bit more.

As is often the case, the closing stages were high on freneticism and low on quality and it was somehow fitting that the deadlock wasn’t broken.

Steelmen: Walker, Webb, Horne, Malone, Piergianni, McGowan, Semple, Wedderburn, Vieira (Manga, 83), Ives (Richardson, 83), Kaziboni (Moreman, 52). Sub not used: Harrison.

Histon: Kitscha, Mills, Hawkins, Clerima, Fitzsimmons, Roberts, Freeman (Hoban, 62), Dowie, Taaffe, Stevenson, Day (Porter, 82). Subs not used: Uttridge, Waters, O’Malley.

Referee: Carl Fitch.

Attendance: 410.