Sensational Steelmen destroy Weymouth

Corby Town manager Tommy Wright and his assistant David Clarke
Corby Town manager Tommy Wright and his assistant David Clarke

Corby Town took their bid for promotion up a notch or two as they destroyed fellow high-flyers Weymouth at Steel Park.

There was nothing flattering about the 5-1 scoreline, the Steelmen were worth every inch of it as they pretty much dominated from start to finish.

The final outcome was never really in doubt once Spencer Weir-Daley had scored the first of his superb hat-trick after just four minutes.

And Corby, as a whole, went on to produce a powerful display - easily their best of the season - to send a clear warning to Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division leaders Poole Town that they won’t be giving up on the title anytime soon.

Sadly, it wasn’t all good news as the game was somewhat overshadowed by a serious injury for centre-half Paul Malone.

He had to be carried off on a stretcher in the first half with the reaction of the Corby players suggesting the worst.

But his team-mates carried on regardless, just as he would want and produced the sort of display that will really get any non-believers believing.

Tommy Wright made one change to the team that beat Chippenham Town 2-1 at the weekend with Ben Milnes coming back into the starting line-up with Elliott Chamberlain dropping to the bench. Edi Appleton was also among the substitutes after completing a two-match ban.

Whatever was said in the Corby dressing-room just before kick-off clearly had the desired effect because the hosts started like a train.

From the first whistle the Steelmen were on the front foot and it was no real surprise when they took the lead in the fourth minute.

Greg Mills proved to be a real livewire in the opening period and he cut in from the left and sent his shot towards the far post. Weymouth player-manager Jason Matthews did well to get down and save it but Weir-Daley was there to pick up the pieces from close-range.

Malone almost got his head on the end of a Stephan Morley corner before Mills forced Jason Matthews into another decent save after he took advantage of a horrible mix up in the visiting defence.

The Terras finally came into the contest with Chris Shephard shooting well wide but the Steelmen should have made it 2-0 on 27 minutes.

Jason Matthews was equal to Morely’s 20-yard free-kick but could only parry it into the path of Shane Byrne who somehow blasted over from a matter of yards.

But barely 60 seconds later, the biggest crowd of the season at Steel Park fell silent as Malone went down.

In typical fashion he flew in to deny Adam Kelly after his initial shot had been saved by Paul Walker.

Immediately it was clear that the centre-half was in trouble and the reactions of the Corby players, in particular Connor Kennedy who had his head in his hands, told the story.

After a lengthy stoppage, Malone was carried off on a stretcher with Appleton coming on to replace him.

It didn’t seem to affect the Steelmen though and, after Mills had been denied by Jason Matthews again, they doubled their advantage in the sixth minute of stoppage-time.

Robbie Matthews hauled down Carvalho and Taylor stepped up to thump the free-kick home with the aid of the inside of the post.

It was fully deserved for a dominant first-half display and it was so nearly 3-0 soon after the break when Jason Matthews brilliantly tipped away a fierce half-volley from Byrne.

But then, out of nowhere, Weymouth were thrown a lifeline when Tim Sills headed into an empty net after Walker could only palm the ball into his path.

However, the visitors’ hope was shortlived.

Just two minutes later, the excellent Mills showed quick feet in the area and was brought down by a combination of Ashley Wells and Calvin Brooks.

A clear penalty and Mills, as he has done on numerous occasions this season, stepped up to confidently beat Jason Matthews from 12 yards.

But the Steelmen weren’t done there as Weir-Daley, clearly full of confidence again, got away and drew the goalkeeper in before finishing the contest with a cool low finish.

With the game being over, things got a bit scrappy after that but there was still one more moment of magic to come as Weir-Daley got his hands on the matchball.

Carvalho was the creator as he delivered a superb cross from the right and Weir-Daley rose to head it home off the underside of the crossbar.

At the other end, Walker kept his concentration to make a good stop from Robbie Matthews.

But that was only a rare chance for the Terras who were well and truly beaten on the night.

Corby need some favours from elsewhere if they are to haul the relentless Poole in.

But if they produce more performances like this, they certainly won’t be far away.

Steelmen: Walker; Kennedy, Malone (sub Appleton, 34 mins), N’Goma, Morley; Byrne, Taylor; Mills (sub Hoban, 79 mins), Milnes, Carvalho; Weir-Daley (sub Chamberlain, 82 mins). Subs not used: Donkin, Wright.

Weymouth: Matthews; Wells, Matthews, Brooks, Martin (sub Copp, 79 mins); Kelly (sub Laird, 72 mins), Colwell, McPhee, Shephard; Yetton, Sills. Subs not used: Fiddes, Poole, Rigg.

Referee: Robbie Dadley.

Goals: Weir-Daley (4 mins, 1-0), Taylor (45 mins, 2-0), Sills (48 mins, 2-1), Mills pen (50 mins, 3-1), Weir-Daley (57 mins, 4-1), Weir-Daley (78 mins, 5-1).

Bookings: McPhee, Matthews, Morley, Shephard (all fouls), Kelly (dissent).

Attendance: 667.