Plummer content as 10-man Corby earn replay

Sam Ives missed a penalty but then put Corby Town in front in their 1-1 draw at Wealdstone in the FA Trophy
Sam Ives missed a penalty but then put Corby Town in front in their 1-1 draw at Wealdstone in the FA Trophy

Chris Plummer praised Corby Town’s 10 men for “putting in a good shift” in the 1-1 draw at Wealdstone.

The Steelmen and the Ryman League Premier Division high-fliers will do it all again in an FA Carlsberg Trophy third qualifying round replay at Steel Park on Wednesday night after honours ended even in London on Saturday.

In an incident-packed encounter, Corby’s hopes were hit by the 21st-minute sending-off of top scorer Josh Moreman, who saw red for dissent towards the referee.

But the Steelmen went on to take the lead through Sam Ives, who saw a first-half penalty come back off the crossbar. However, they were unable to hold on as Alex Dyer grabbed an equaliser to earn Wealdstone another chance on Wednesday.

Both teams will be in the hat for tomorrow’s (Monday) first-round draw and Steelmen boss Plummer was content with the result given the way the game panned out.

“It was a tough shift for the lads after we went down to 10 men but they gave it everything,” the Corby manager said.

“We are disappointed with the sending-off. It doesn’t look good on us that it was for dissent and the laws state that if you swear at an official then it is a red card. However, I don’t believe that is always enforced as much as it probably should be.

“But we got on with it and Sam was unlucky with the penalty but made amends with the goal.

“Wealdstone are a good side. They are going really well in their division and we had to absorb a lot of pressure as you would expect.

“But Paul Walker has made a couple of good saves and the rest of the lads have thrown their bodies in the way of shots to help keep us in the competition.

“We have got another chance and we will be looking to take it. But it will be hard again on Wednesday night.”

Another plus point for Plummer was the sight of Nathan Horne completing 90 minutes on his return from injury, although Leon McKenzie missed the game due to an ankle injury.