Peters happy with Corby’s improvement

Tom Berwick scored Corby Town's first goal of the season as they claimed a 1-1 draw at Arlesey Town
Tom Berwick scored Corby Town's first goal of the season as they claimed a 1-1 draw at Arlesey Town

Mark Peters was happy with a big improvement from Corby Town as they stopped the rot in the Calor League Premier Division.

Peters was placed in interim charge of the Steelmen following the resignation of Chris Plummer in the wake of the 6-0 hammering at Hemel Hempstead last Tuesday night.

The search for the next permanent manager of the Steelmen is set to pick up pace after tomorrow’s (Monday) home clash with Hinckley United.

But the Corby players will go into that game with much-needed boost in confidence after they claimed 1-1 draw at Arlesey Town to register their first goal and point of the season.

Tom Berwick’s first goal for the club had Peters on course for a winning start with eight minutes to go but Arlesey - who had won their first two games of the season - snatched a point on 86 minutes.

However, Peters was delighted with the reaction of the players and is now hoping they can follow it up in front of their own fans at Steel Park tomorrow.

“Everything was a little bit better and that was the main target for us,” the interim Corby manager said.

“The quality of football was an improvement and, more importantly, we got a team who were willing to work hard for each other.

“We got shots off on Arlesey’s goal and we changed the shape to ensure we were in the game and that we didn’t concede anything early, which has been a problem.

“The players have realised the situation the club is in and they have responded. Hopefully that will continue because the worst thing we could do after this is shoot ourselves in the foot when we play Hinckley tomorrow.

“It was a pleasing response from the lads. We made sure our goalkeeper didn’t have a great deal to do and we made ourselves a threat at the other end by creating plenty of chances.”

Steelmen chairman Kevin Ingram revealed before the game that “in excess of 20 people” had enquired about the vacant manager’s job at Steel Park but insisted he will only be looking at that after the game with Hinckley.