New bosses see Steelmen storm through

editorial image

The new era at Corby Town kicked off in style as new joint-managers Andrew Wilson and Tommy Wright saw their side cruise into the second qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 3-0 success over Barwell at Steel Park.

Goals from Paul Malone, Tom Berwick – with his fourth in two games – and Josh Moreman sealed a comfortable win for the impressive Steelmen.

From the off they looked sharper than their Evo-Stik Northern League Premier Division opponents and the fluency of their play certainly caught the eye as it proved too much for Barwell to handle.

Wright, as expected, also made his debut on the pitch while Corby announced another new signing ahead of kick-off with former Birmingham City youngster Brad Gascoigne going straight into the starting line-up.

There were also a returns to the starting line-up for Chris Carruthers and Tom Ingram while Northampton Town loan duo Claudio Dias and David Moyo dropped to the bench.

Sam Ives was pushed up into a midfield role while Ingram started at right-back and both looked comfortable in their new surroundings as the Steelmen enjoyed a fine first half.

There seemed to be an extra spring in Corby’s step as they knocked the ball around well and they had the first real chance when Wright played in Berwick whose shot was parried by Liam Castle with the joint-manager unable to finish off from the rebound.

But, with Barwell unable to register a shot on target in the half, the Steelmen did take the lead on 24 minutes when Berwick whipped in a free-kick from the left and Malone rose to head into the corner.

Berwick sent a chip over the crossbar before he doubled the advantage just before half-time when he was sent clear in the right channel and finished well with a low shot across Castle and into the far corner.

The Steelmen started the second half strongly and the game looked up for Barwell just five minutes after the restart.

Tom James saw a shot well saved by Castle but the third did arrive when Moreman got away on the left. He cut inside, beating two defenders in the process. His shot was deflected onto the bar by Castle but Moreman reacted quickest to fire home from close range.

That ended the game as a contest, although Paul Walker was finally forced into a good stop when he turned Daniel Newton’s shot around the post.

But that was as close as Barwell came all afternoon as Malone and Gascoigne performed well as a new central defensive partnership.

Three goals, a clean sheet, a fourth win in a row at home and a place in Monday’s draw. The new bosses couldn’t have asked for much better than that.

Steelmen: Walker; Ingram (sub Vieira, 81 mins), Malone, Gascoigne, Jelleyman (sub Shariff, 76 mins); Carruthers; Berwick, Ives, James, Moreman; Wright. Subs not used: Arber, Moyo, Dias, Lamb-Johnson, Greer.

Barwell: Castle; Lower (sub Brown-Hill, 67 mins), G Hadland, Hood (sub Earles, 44 mins), Albrighton; Brehon, S Hadland, Lavery, Edwards; Barlone (sub Brown, 73 mins), Newton. Subs not used: Simmonds, Putman.

Referee: Geoff Law.

Goals: Malone (24 mins, 1-0), Berwick (42 mins, 2-0), Moreman (50 mins, 3-0).

Bookings: Wright, Newton, G Hadland (all fouls).

Attendance: 269.