Corby Town midfielder Anton Brown is facing at least six weeks on the sidelines after it was confirmed he has dislocated his wrist.
The summer signing suffered the injury during the 2-2 draw at Lowestoft Town late last month.
Boss Tommy Wright said an initial x-ray revealed no break but Brown was advised to go for another one earlier this week when the injury was confirmed.
“The first x-ray showed there was no break but Anton was told last Friday that he needed to go back and he did so on Monday,” the Steelmen boss said.
“And it’s now been confirmed that he has dislocated his wrist. He will have an operation tomorrow (Wednesday) but we are looking at six to eight weeks with him out of action.
“It’s a massive loss for us and I do think we have missed him in the past couple of games. He is a big presence in the middle of the pitch.”
Wright looks set to avoid the temptation of bringing in a new face as cover during Brown’s absence.
And he insists he has the players to cope with the loss as he and his team prepare for Saturday’s Vanarama National League North trip to FC United of Manchester, which is followed by a home clash with Boston United next Wednesday night.
“We will round the troops and get on with it,” Wright added.
“To be honest, I still have the likes of Cleveland (Taylor), Ben (Milnes) and Ash (Sammons) who are all good central midfielders.
“And I have been working day in, day out with Danny Draper in the academy who is working towards that position so there may be an opportunity for him to come into the squad as well.
“We have two big matches coming up over the next week and for the time being, we will deal with it in-house and see how things progress from there.”
Don’t miss a full preview of the Steelmen’s match at FC United of Manchester in Thursday’s Corby Telegraph