Malone and Weir-Daley at the double for Steelmen

Corby Town manager Tommy Wright
Corby Town manager Tommy Wright

Paul Malone and Spencer Weir-Daley both scored twice as Corby Town bounced back from their FA Cup misery with a fine 4-1 victory over Paulton Rovers at Steel Park.

Steelmen skipper Malone struck his brace in the first half with Weir-Daley making it three goals in two games as the hosts ran away with things after the break.

Tommy Wright made four changes from the team that was beaten 2-1 at Norton United on Tuesday.

Wright, Edi Appleton and Shane Byrne were all ruled out through injury with Greg Mills, Cleveland Taylor and new signing Jamie Anton coming into the side.

Kalern Thomas also returned in place of Curtis Hartley, who was on the bench alongside another new arrival Liam McInally.

There was also a change in formation from Wright as he opted for a 3-5-2, which saw Thomas and Anton alongside Malone in a back three.

Taylor sent a long-range effort just wide inside the first minute but it proved to be a fairly dull opening with Paulton’s Brandon Barnes having his team’s best chances as he curled a free-kick wide and then shot over when he perhaps should have done better.

With the new formation not really working, the Steelmen changed their shape and, having barely threatened the visiting goal, they took the lead on 28 minutes.

Connor Kennedy launched a long throw into the area from the right, Malone got a good flick on it and everyone froze as the ball nestled in the far corner.

And just six minutes later, Corby and Malone had their second. This time Mills sent in a ball from deep and the Steelmen skipper got there before visiting goalkeeper Kyle Phillips and volleyed home.

It seemed, at that point, that Corby were in control after struggling to get into it initially.

But they let their visitors back into it before the break. Barnes whipped a corner in from the right and their captain Scott Brice rose highest to head home.

McInally was thrown on for his debut at half-time in place of Akin Daramola and the new boy made an immediate impression as his long-range effort was fumbled by Phillips before he eventually collected the ball.

The visiting stopper was in action just a few seconds later when he made a decent save from Wilson Carvalho’s strike from the right.

But there was nothing Phillips could do when the Steelmen extended their lead just past the hour.

Ben Milnes did all the leg work with a driving run and he unselfishly squared for Weir-Daley who finished things off at the far post.

And it was game over with 16 minutes to go when, shortly after Paul Walker had bravely saved at the feet of Scott Wilson, a long punt clear from Cleveland Taylor released Weir-Daley.

He held off his marker to give himself a clear shot and he made no mistake when firing into the bottom corner.

Walker pulled off a brilliant stop in a crowded penalty area and then Malone headed off the line from Dean Evans as Paulton were denied any sort of lifeline.

And Corby might have gone further in front before the end with Carvalho seeing a free-kick deflected wide while Weir-Daley missed the chance to complete a hat-trick when he lofted a shot over Phillips but wide of the target.

Steelmen: Walker; Anton, Malone, Thomas; Kennedy, Daramola (sub McInally, h-t), Milnes, Taylor, Carvalho; Mills (sub Crawford, 81 mins), Weir-Daley. Subs not used: Hartley, Clarke, Peprah.

Paulton: Phillips; Tovey (sub Gibbons, 61 mins), Brice (sub Knowles, 67 mins), Seary, Mapstone; Barnes, Bryant (sub Jeffries, 81 mins), Williams, Evans; Klein-Davies, Wilson. Subs not used: Lacey.

Referee: Andrew Fox.

Goals: Malone (28 mins, 1-0), Malone (34 mins, 2-0), Brice (39 mins, 2-1), Weir-Daley (63 mins, 3-1), Weir-Daley (74 mins, 4-1).

Attendance: 412.