Corby Town captain Gareth Jelleyman has left the club ahead of tonight’s (Wednesday) clash with Cambridge City at Steel Park.
With the financial issues at the Steelmen showing no signs of relenting, it was revealed that Jelleyman had been offered a reduced wage following the cut in the playing budget, which came to light following the 2-0 home defeat to Hungerford Town at the weekend.
But the experienced left-back decided to reject the offer and has now departed Steel Park, joining the likes of Paul Malone, Nathan Stanton and Aman Verma in leaving following the recent issues.
Joint-boss Andrew Wilson said: “We were forced to offer him reduced terms and he has decided that the money he was offered was not enough for him to justify making the journey so he’s made the decision to leave the club.
“He is the seventh first teamer that we have lost now and it is disappointing to have lost our captain.”
Wilson, meanwhile, is hopeful Claudiu Hoban will feature for the Steelmen again tonight.
The forward, who is currently with Skrill Premier side Tamworth but remains dual registered with the Steelmen after being with them earlier this season, made a surprise appearance in last week’s 3-1 victory over AFC Totton.
And, with Tamworth not having a game this midweek and the Steelmen squad looking light due to recent player departures due to the off-field issues at the club, joint-manager Andrew Wilson is hoping Hoban will return for another game.
Should that happen, Wilson also confirmed Hoban has said he will play for free as Corby’s financial problems continue.
“We are hoping that Claudiu will be allowed to play with Tamworth not having a midweek match,” Wilson said.
“So hopefully he will be available and he has said that he will play for us for free.
“I think that is a great compliment for us that he is prepared to do that. Tamworth are happy for him to keep his fitness levels up so hopefully he will be available again before the end of the season.”
It is set to be another tough ask for the Steelmen this evening as they take on a Cambridge side who currently sit in the final play-off spot in the Calor League Premier Division and have a bunch of teams attempting to chase them down.
Those teams will be looking for a favour from Corby but Wilson said: “We aren’t looking to do anybody any favours apart from ourselves.
“We will try to put together a team and a squad that we feel can compete with a very good team. We are under no illusions as to how difficult it will be.
“When you lose as many first-team players as we have then it is going to make a difference. Any team would be the same.
“All we can do is get the lads ready, try to stay in the game for as long as possible and be competitive.
“And I still think that with our starting 11 we have a good chance of competing with teams like Cambridge.”
Find more news from Steel Park in this week’s Corby Telegraph – out tomorrow