Tommy Wright has admitted what happens now as far as Corby Town’s trip to Truro City is concerned lies firmly “in the hands of the Southern League”..
The Steelmen are facing the prospect of having to travel to Cornwall again at some point in the remainder of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division campaign following the floodlight failure that occurred at the end of yesterday’s clash.
Corby were heading for seventh win in all competitions as they led 2-1 Treyew Road after Wilson Carvalho and Elliott Chamberlain had put them 2-0 up before Ben Gerring replied for the hosts.
Then, with just four minutes of normal time remaining, the lights went out with the game eventually being abandoned.
Wright was clearly frustrated by the way the afternoon ended and now believes what happens from here could “drag on” after he admitted he and his players felt like “they had won the game”.
“After 86 minutes the lights have gone off,” Wright said.
“The four of us, that would be me, Dave (Clarke, assistant-manager), their manager and assistant got together and we felt it was light enough to finish the game.
“The referee seemed happy and I thought it had been agreed but then he said we needed the lights on.
“It goes to the Southern League committee now. We will have to see what happens but it could also go to the FA as well, it may drag on for a while.
“Do we replay the game? Do we do a 300-mile trip to play four minutes?
“If we have to replay the game then it should be on a Saturday so that we can prepare in the same way.
“The boys and myself will look at it as if we have got three points. We have won a game of football and that was the feeling in the dressing-room.
“All we can do now is leave it in the hands of the Southern League.
“The feeling is that we have won the game and I am sure the league will make the right decision.”
As a result of the abandonment, the Steelmen now trail leaders Weymouth by four points after they claimed a 1-0 home win over Cambridge City.