In-form Hungerford have too much for Steelmen

Corby Town joint-boss Tommy Wright
Corby Town joint-boss Tommy Wright
Share this article

Corby Town became the latest team to suffer at the hands of Hungerford Town as they claimed a comfortable 2-0 win at Steel Park.

The visitors arrived on the back of a six-match unbeaten run and they had few problems as they picked up a fourth successive win without conceding a goal in the Calor League Premier Division.

The big news ahead of the game was the confirmation of the arrival of former Leicester City youngster Jorrin John as the international clearance for his move finally came through after he had a spell in Thailand recently.

And John was thrown straight into the starting line-up as he replaced Claudiu Hoban, who was on the bench for Tamworth in their Skrill Premier game with Lincoln City, in the only change to the Corby team from Wednesday’s 3-1 success over AFC Totton.

After a cagey first 10 minutes, it was Corby who had the first shot in anger when Sam Ives’ effort was deflected wide.

But, in their first attack, it was the visitors who took the lead. A simple ball into the area wasn’t dealt with and it eventually broke for Stefan Brown who beat Paul Walker with a low finish.

Greg Mills curled a free-kick wide as Corby looked for an immediate response and an even better chance went begging when Sam Ives’ low cross was met by the on-rushing Chris Carruthers who could only scoop the ball over the bar from close-range.

The game turned a bit scrappy and niggly for the remainder of the half but the Steelmen were indebted to Walker for ensuring the visitors didn’t double their advantage before the break as he produced a superb stop to deny Draycott from six yards after Brown had crossed from the left.

Hungerford started the second half brightly and Matt Day saw a 35-yard free-kick fizz just past the post before Draycott sent a lob over Walker but also over the bar.

But a big chance did come Corby’s way soon after when John got in on goal but he final effort was stopped by Paul Strudley, who also held on to Greg Mills’ rebound.

Hungerford continued to look a threat, however, and Walker came to Corby’s rescue again when he saved well from Brown, who broke the offside trap to have a clear run on goal.

But the visitors did double their advantage on 66 minutes with a lovely move. James Clark fed the ball into Draycott, who produced a lovely flick over his head. Clark carried on his run and then beat Walker with a deft finish.

That killed the game as a contest and there were few chances with the closest either side going before the end being visiting substitute Luke Hopper who shot just wide in the final minute.

It was all fairly straightforward for Hungerford, who were physical and confident throughout.

The Steelmen, meanwhile, will need to try to bounce back against high-flying Cambridge City at Steel Park on Wednesday.

Steelmen: Walker; Kennedy (sub Ingram, 82 mins), Wright, Thomas, Jelleyman; McGowan, Carruthers (sub Chunga, 87 mins); John (sub May, 81 mins), Ives, Taylor; Mills. Subs not used: Carpenter, Wilson.

Hungerford: Strudley; Hughes, Day, Horgan, Stanley; Clark, Herring, Rees, O’Brien (sub Stow, 74 mins); Brown (sub Hopper, 82 mins), Draycott. Subs not used: Goodger, Webb, Legg.

Referee: Mark Howes.

Goals: Brown (15 mins, 0-1), Clark (66 mins, 0-2).

Bookings: Day, Ives (both fouls).

Attendance: 253.