Corby and Crawford put their focus on the league

Jordon Crawford scored a fine goal in Corby Town's FA Trophy defeat at St Neots Town last weekend
Jordon Crawford scored a fine goal in Corby Town's FA Trophy defeat at St Neots Town last weekend

Jordon Crawford insists the Corby Town players are ready to “see how far we can go” in the Evo-Stik League South.

The Steelmen are now able to put their full focus on the league campaign following their FA Trophy exit at the hands of St Neots Town last weekend.

Corby were seemingly on course to make it seven wins in a row under caretaker-manager Steve Kinniburgh after Crawford’s wonder-strike and Ben Diamond’s header gave them a 2-0 half-time lead.

But the Evo-Stik South League Premier side stormed back and scored three goals in 14 minutes to make it 3-2 while the Steelmen’s misery was compounded when Connor Kennedy saw red for a second bookable offence.

There was understandable disappointment in the camp in the immediate aftermath.

But youngster Crawford, who put pen to paper on a contract nearly two weeks ago, was keen to look ahead.

Five league wins in a row have seen the Steelmen storm into the promotion mix and they will bid to keep the run going when they host Belper Town at Steel Park on Saturday.

“We weren’t going to win every game,” Crawford said.

“We just want to win as many as possible and we will go back to the league on Saturday and build on what we had done before.

“We want to see how far we can go now. We want to keep it going.

“We want to be up there and competing for the league.

“We know we are good enough and we know we have the team to do it.

“It’s just important for us, as a group of players, to stick together and keep putting points on the board and, come Christmas and at the end of the season, we will see where we are.”

As far as last weekend was concerned, Crawford was understandably delighted with his goal as a magnificent strike found the top corner after a surging run from the halfway line.

But it was coupled with real frustration as the Steelmen let a lead slip from their grasp.

“We started off well in the first half, we did everything we were told to do and that’s why we got the 2-0 lead early on,” the young forward, who has now scored five goals in all competitions this season, added.

“But in the second half we didn’t start quickly at all.

“As the manager said after the game, we went back five or six weeks and did everything we shouldn’t have been doing.

“I was pleased with the goal though. That’s what I try to do all the time, getting down the line and cutting in.

“It was one of my better ones of the season and hopefully I will get a few more of them.

“I want to keep racking them up as the games go by."