Carvalho’s late show keeps Steelmen on top of the table

Tommy Wright's Corby Town stayed top thanks to a 2-1 win at Slough Town
Tommy Wright's Corby Town stayed top thanks to a 2-1 win at Slough Town

Corby Town will go into their final home game of the season on Saturday sitting on top of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division after they snatched a 2-1 win at Slough Town.

Wilson Carvalho was the hero for the Steelmen as he grabbed the winner seven minutes from full-time while the hosts finished with nine men as Jake Parsons was sent off for his protests following that goal after he claimed a foul had been made in the build up.

Scott Harris followed his team-mate down the tunnel late on as Corby held on to make it back-to-back away wins.

Poole Town’s 2-0 victory at Arlesey Town means the Steelmen remain a point clear at the summit, although the Dolphins have three games in hand on the leaders.

Tommy Wright made two changes to the team that started the 1-0 win at Redditch United with Carvalho and Claudiu Hoban coming into the line-up as Shane Byrne dropped to the bench while Spencer Weir-Daley is on international duty with Montserrat.

But it was Slough who started the better and took the lead on 11 minutes thanks to a fine volley from Ed Smith at the back post.

Greg Mills forced Luke Williams into a fine save as Corby looked to respond while Hoban was replaced by Byrne after picking up an injury.

And the Steelmen drew level on the stroke of half-time when they were awarded a hotly-disputed penalty for a foul. However, Mills stepped up and sent Williams the wrong way from the spot.

As the second half wore on, Corby put the pressure on while Wright brought himself into the action as they hunted a winner.

Mills and Wright were both off target with efforts while Dan Reed was unable to find a way through with a chance at the other end.

But then, with seven minutes to go, Carvalho won it with an angled shot despite Parsons claiming a foul had been committed.

He was dismissed while Harris followed for a foul as Corby saw things out to ensure they stay on top of the league.

The Steelmen take on Dorchester Town at Steel Park on Saturday before a Red Insure Cup final, second leg at Poole next Tuesday is followed by five away games to round off the campaign.

Slough: Williams, Fraser, R Parsons, Hollis, Yorke, Martin, J Parsons, Edwards, Harris, Smith, Henry. Subs: Moran, Short, Reed, Gokmen.

Steelmen: Walker, Thomas, Morley, Anton, N’Goma, Milnes, Mills, Taylor, Chamberlain, Hoban, Carvalho. Subs: Kennedy, Byrne, Gascoigne, Wright, Donkin.

Referee: Paul Forrester.

Goals: Smith (11 mins, 1-0), Mills pen (45 mins, 1-1), Carvalho (83 mins, 1-2).

Attendance: 276.

Don’t miss all the latest news from Steel Park in Thursday’s Corby Telegraph