Tommy Wright admitted Corby Town conceding another late goal was his biggest concern following their NFA Hillier Senior Cup exit.
The Steelmen were beaten 2-1 at local rivals Kettering Town with 16-year-old Ben Baker scoring the late winner for the hosts after Ashley Sammons had cancelled out Jevani Brown’s opener.
Corby are now without a win in seven in all competitions as they turn their attention to Saturday’s FA Cup second qualifying round tie with Rushall Olympic at Steel Park.
As expected, Wright fielded a mix of first-team and youth players for the clash at Latimer Park and saw his side twice denied a second goal with Sammons having an effort ruled out for offside while Kurtis Revan’s late strike was pulled back for a foul.
And the Corby manager said: “Obviously the result wasn’t there but I felt a bit hard done by with the goal we had ruled out for offside and the one where there was deemed to be a foul in the build up.
“I’ve said before that the Hillier Cup is great for getting the young lads a game and I am disappointed we haven’t gone through because it means they will miss that opportunity in the future.
“But when you keep getting drawn against your local rivals you feel obliged to make the team stronger than it might have been.
“There were 200 people there and us and Kettering met further down the line in the competition then maybe that crowd would be a lot bigger. I think there’s something for the NFA to think about there when it comes to the competition.
“We had some chances and could have won but ultimately, it is a defeat and the fact we conceded another late goal is probably the biggest concern that came out of the game.”
Wright confirmed today (Wednesday) that defender Herve Pepe-N’Goma has re-signed for the Steelmen following on from the arrival of former St Mirren striker Callum Ball earlier this week.
Don’t miss a full preview of the Steelmen’s FA Cup tie in Thursday’s Corby Telegraph