A case of ‘wait and see’ after Diamonds’ controversial finish

AFC Rushden & Diamonds manager Andy Peaks
AFC Rushden & Diamonds manager Andy Peaks

Andy Peaks says AFC Rushden & Diamonds will have to “wait and see” what happens after their Evo-Stik Southern League Division One clash at Kings Langley last night (Tuesday) ended in controversy.

Diamonds found themselves a goal down with 14 minutes to go but looked to have earned a point when Dan Quigley struck in the final moments.

However, that goal sparked anger from the hosts who felt the ball should have been given back to them following an apparent injury to one of their players.

After the initial altercation, the match did restart but then a home player’s challenge on Brad Harris sparked another incident involving players and coaching staff from both sides.

Elliott Lamb-Johnson was red-carded during the furore and then the referee chose to abandon the game rather then allow it to finish with just a matter of moments remaining.

It was a bizarre finish to the contest and Peaks now believes it will be up to the Southern League to decide what happens next.

“We scored when they felt we should have given the ball back but I didn’t even consider that,” the Diamonds boss explained.

“They had a couple of players go down and their goalkeeper booted the ball 70 yards up the pitch and out of play.

“The referee asked whether they needed treatment but allowed the game to carry on and we have gone up there and scored.

“Their bench weren’t happy about it and there were a few words exchanged but the game kicked off again and then one of their players has gone through the back of Brad Harris, which caused another incident.

“To be honest, I was just concentrating on pulling our boys away from it all but we had Elliott sent off for something and then the referee said he was going to abandon it even though there was only a minute or two left.

“We just have to wait and see what happens now and I assume it will be up to the Southern League to decide that.

“If we have to go and play the whole game again then so be it, if the result stands we will take it.

“It’s strange because it wasn’t an ill-tempered game at all.

“It was scrappy and we didn’t play particularly well in the first half but were better in the second.

“Neither goalkeeper really had a save to make and they have scored and we have scored and that was all there was to it.

“The key thing for us now is to move on to the next game.”

Diamonds return to action at the weekend when they take on Basford United in the preliminary round of the FA Trophy at the Dog & Duck.

Don’t miss more Diamonds news in Thursday’s Northamptonshire Telegraph