SATURDAY SPORT – Steelmen move out of the drop-zone, Diamonds claim vital win but Poppies are well beaten

All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Phil Trainer’s late goal moved Corby Town back out of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division relegation zone with a vital 1-0 victory at Stafford Rangers.

Trainer struck the winning goal after 81 minutes and, with Sutton Coldfield Town losing 3-2 at home to Matlock Town, it meant Corby went back above them on goal difference with just two games remaining.

David Bell, Aaron Brown and Trainer were all recalled to the Steelmen’s starting line-up.

But there were few chances in the opening period, which ended goalless.

Stafford went close to breaking the deadlock after the break as Corby cleared two efforts off the line and then the Steelmen went even closer when Connor Kennedy’s header struck the crossbar.

But Corby got the crucial breakthrough with just nine minutes to go when Trainer tapped home from close-range.

And they held on to ensure they moved back out of the relegation zone.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds moved back into the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South play-off places as they secured a crucial 1-0 victory over Newcastle Town at the Dog & Duck.

After a bright start from Diamonds, it was Newcastle who were presented with the best chance of the opening half when they were awarded a penalty after Daniel Cocks went down under a challenge from Callum Westwood in the area.

Cocks stepped up but saw his spot-kick saved low to his left by Matt Finlay.

Nabil Shariff and Ben Farrell tested Harry Pickering early in the second half but Diamonds got the breakthrough on 64 minutes when Dolman headed Ross Oulton’s set-piece into the top corner.

Shariff scooped over the bar from close-range and then Pickering denied Oulton.

But, aside from Finlay making a fine save from a Jordan Cole free-kick, Diamonds were rarely troubled as they saw the game out.

Kettering Town slipped to a 4-1 defeat as Stratford Town completed the double over Marcus Law’s team in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

The Poppies included youngsters Jack O’Connor and Ben Baker in their starting line-up but they got off to the worst possible start when George Forsyth headed home a cross from former Kettering man Will Grocott.

But Kettering drew level on the half-hour when Baker slid the ball home under Stratford goalkeeper Niall Cooper.

The hosts regained the lead just before the hour when Wayne Thomas headed in from a Grocott corner and the game was up for the Poppies with 11 minutes to go when Jamie Spencer slotted home Stratford’s third.

And the misery was completed when Grocott converted a penalty in stoppage-time.