SATURDAY SPORT – Poppies win a thriller, Steelmen lose out but Diamonds stay unbeaten in the league

Details of this afternoon's local football action
Details of this afternoon's local football action

Kettering Town won an incredible game at Latimer Park as they beat Histon 5-4 in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

The Poppies had led 4-1 at one stage but the Stutes battled back to level at 4-4 before Richard Bryan’s goal won it for Marcus Law’s side.

Michael Richens went straight into the Poppies’ starting line-up after joining on loan from Hemel Hempstead Town and the hosts made the perfect start in the sixth minute when Liam Canavan tapped home after Courtney Baker-Richardson’s effort had been blocked.

Will Grocott sent a free-kick just wide but the visitors levelled on 24 minutes when Ryan Aveer shot into the corner. The goal was given by the referee despite an assistant’s flag being up for offside.

But Kettering responded within a minute as they regained the lead when Brett Solkhon headed home James Brighton’s corner.

Dubi Ogbonna had a drive well saved but he did make it 3-1 seven minutes before the break.

The frontman was hauled down in the area and he picked himself up to beat Denzel Gerrar from the penalty spot.

The Poppies looked out of sight when Will Crocott made it 4-1 on 53 minutes but a crazy spell followed as Histon battled their way back into it.

Jordan Nicholson made it 4-2 and then added his team’s third just two minutes later.

And a remarkable comeback was complete on 70 minutes when Aveer scored his second of the game.

But, incredibly, the Poppies struck back two minutes later to make it 5-4 when Bryan tapped home at the far post following another Brighton corner.

And, despite heavy pressure from Histon, the Poppies saw it out to win a remarkable game.

Corby Town’s winless run continued as they suffered a 2-1 defeat to high-flying AFC Fylde in the Vanarama National League North at Steel Park.

Tommy Wright handed debuts to Clayton McDonald and Andre Johnson and Corby made a bright start with Ashley Sammon’s lob being deflected over the bar by Ben Hinchcliffe.

It proved to be a fairly even first half with few chances, although Sammons saw a free-kick well saved by Hinchcliffe.

The visitors went close when Matty Blinkhorn struck the base of the post before the break.

But Fylde came out flying after the break and they took the lead when Ritchie Baker’s shot found the bottom corner although the goal was only given after a consultation between the referee and assistant, who had his flag raised.

And it was 2-0 just five minutes later when Chris Carruthers dragged down Dion Charles in the area and Baker stepped up to thump home from 12 yards.

Initially, the Steelmen struggled to get back into it but, after Josh Wilson had hit the bar with a free-kick, Duane Courtney gave the hosts hope when he headed home Cleveland Taylor’s set-piece.

But they were unable to find an equaliser while Fylde went to the top of the table thanks to the victory.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds maintained their unbeaten record in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central as two Tom Lorraine goals helped them beat Potters Bar Town 3-2 at the Dog & Duck.

There were few chances for the majority of the first half with Matt Finlay tipping an effort round the post early on.

Delroy Gordon’s goalbound header was blocked but the hosts did take the lead five minutes before the break.

Claudiu Hoban returned from injury and he stepped up to send a stunning 25-yard free-kick into the top corner.

Lorraine had a shot cleared off the line after he had gone round the goalkeeper early in the second half.

But Potters Bar levelled on 57 minutes thanks to an excellent curling shot from Luke Warner-Eley.

However, two goals in as many minutes settled the contest. Substitute and debutant Andy Hall set up Lorraine to nod home to make it 2-1.

And two minutes later Lorraine headed in again after Dan Quigley’s header from another Hall cross had come back off the bar.

The visitors pulled another back late on thanks to a Garry Jones penalty but Diamonds saw it out.