SATURDAY SPORT – Poppies upset Boston in the FA Cup, Diamonds bows out and Steelmen lose on the road

All the details from today's local football action
All the details from today's local football action

Kettering Town produced a fine display as they booked their place in the fourth qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup as they upset old rivals Boston United at Latimer Park.

The Poppies were given a helping hand when visiting defender Joe Maguire was sent off midway through the first half for a second bookable offence.

And Kettering took advantage as they opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time when Liam Canavan swept home Dom Langdon’s pull-back from the by-line.

The Poppies continued to threaten in the second half while Boston caused them few problems at the other end.

And the 2-0 success was wrapped up in the first minute of stoppage-time when James Brighton broke away and found Wilson Carvalho who turned his marker and fired home.

It means the Poppies will be in Monday’s draw for the fourth qualifying round and are now one more win away from the first round proper.

The FA Cup dream is over AFC Rushden & Diamonds as they went down 3-0 at Ryman League Premier Division side Hendon.

Hendon opened the scoring in the first half when Karl Oliyide finished off a good team move.

Diamonds went so close to drawing level eight minutes into the second half when Nabil Shariff found Nic Evangelinos but the home goalkeeper tipped his shot onto the near post.

And Hendon doubled their advantage four minutes later when Spencer McCall fired home from 20 yards.

The game was over with 11 minutes to go when Niko Muir slammed into the roof of the net to complete the scoring before Taylor Orosz missed a late chance for a consolation.

Corby Town’s struggles in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division continued as they were beaten 2-1 at Warrington Town.

The Steelmen fell behind late in the first half when Ciaran Kilheeney flicked the ball over Connor Kennedy and then beat Aidan Grant.

And it was 2-0 nine minutes into the second period when home debutant Tom Peers doubled the advantage.

But the Steelmen battled away and gave themselves a lifeline nine minutes from the end through Andre Johnson.

However, they were unable to find an equaliser as the wait for a first away win of the season continued.