SATURDAY SPORT – Poppies out of the FA Cup, Steelmen lose again but 10-man Diamonds are victorious

All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Kettering Town’s Emirates FA Cup hopes were ended in emphatic style as they were outclassed and outplayed in a 3-1 defeat at Solihull Moors.

The Vanarama National League side moved into Monday’s first-round proper with a decisive performance as the Poppies’ big following were ultimately sent home unhappy.

After a bright start from the Poppies, they fell behind on 18 minutes when former Kettering man Ryan Beswick stepped up to curl home a fine 20-yard free-kick.

Dean Snedker produced a fine save to keep out and Andy Brown header but there was nothing the goalkeeper could do just a few moments later when Solihull broke down the right and Shepherd Murombedzi crossed for Brown to head home at the far post.

Kettering went close to pulling a goal back when Nathan Vaughan dropped a Liam Bateman cross and Spencer Weir-Daley’s effort was blocked.

But the game was up on 65 minutes when Solihull made it 3-0 with Brown again powering home from Omari Sterling-James’ cross from the left.

The Poppies did pull a goal back with six minutes to go when James Haran headed home a James Brighton free-kick. But it proved to be only a consolation.

Managerless Corby Town slipped to another defeat in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division as they were beaten 2-0 at Mickleover Sports.

The Steelmen fell behind on 18 minutes when Monty Parkes spilled a corner into his own net.

Corby weren’t helped by an injury to Ben Milnes but Callum Ball shot wide early in the second half.

However, Mickleover doubled their advantage soon after and Corby were unable to find a way back.

Ten-man AFC Rushden & Diamonds produced a fine fightback as they returned to Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South action with a 2-1 success over Sheffield FC at the Dog & Duck.

Diamonds fell a goal and a man down on 14 minutes when Rory Winters brought down Connor Hall in the area.

Winters was sent on and Alec Denton stepped up to beat Matt Finlay from the spot.

But Diamonds responded quickly when Nabil Shariff scooped the ball home after his original effort had struck the post.

Sam Brown went close to giving Diamonds the lead with a shot that went just wide while Liam Dolman fired straight at goalkeeper Chris Butt.

Shariff had a great chance to put his team in front after the break but Butt saved well with his legs after the frontman had gone through.

Shariff went close again after he had been played in by new signing Lewis Wilson but the winning goal arrived two minutes from the end.

Sheffield were penalised for handball from a Brown long throw and Shariff stepped up to score from 12 yards.