SATURDAY SPORT – Poppies and Diamonds through in FA Cup but Steelmen lose to FC United

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Kettering Town and AFC Rushden & Diamonds booked their places in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup thanks to a pair of away victories.

The Poppies, the all-time leading scorers in the competition, added five more to their tally as they eased to a 5-0 success at Market Drayton Town.

The Poppies flew out of the blocks and Liam Canavan, on his full debut, shot over early on while Andy Gooding and Elliot Sandy were also off target.

But the visitors did break the deadlock on 17 minutes when Sandy was brought down by Lyndon Campbell and Gooding stepped up to send Ash Rawlins the wrong way.

And it was 2-0 nine minutes later when Will Grocutt sent in a cross and Courtney Baker-Richardson slammed it home at the far post.

Rawlins saved well from James Brighton as the Poppies’ dominance continued and they were rewarded again before the break when Campbell handled in the area and Gooding again stepped up to score from the penalty spot.

Brighton was denied by Rawlins again before half-time and Kettering carried on from where they left off after the break as Canavan forced Rawlins into an early save.

But it was 4-0 on 50 minutes when Brighton’s run ended with him finding Grocutt who slid the ball home.

Poppies goalkeeper Jamie McAlindon was forced into good saves from Michael O’Reilly and Scott Ryan but the hosts’ afternoon was compounded when Jeff Watkins was sent off for second bookable offence.

And Kettering rounded things off late on when substitute Jevani Brown fired home after Rawlins had saved from Justin Marsden.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds also moved into Monday’s draw as two goals from Dan Quigley sealed a 2-1 success at Bedfont & Feltham.

Diamonds made a bright start and took the lead when Quigley rose unmarked to head home Sam Brown’s cross.

But the hosts fought back and had the chance to level when they won a penalty. But Matt Finlay saved Jacob Lambe’s spot-kick to his right.

However, Bedfont to equalise on the stroke of half-time when Diamonds’ defence switched off and Michael Campbell found the net.

Diamonds started the second half well and Quigley had an effort ruled out for a foul by Tom Lorraine before Claudiu Hoban fired over.

The game then turned sour as the home side’s Matt Ward was sent off for a second bookable offence but, almost immediately, Diamonds defender Jack Ashton followed him down the tunnel after being red-carded for a two-footed challenge.

But Diamonds reacted better to both sides being reduced to 10 men and they regained the lead when Quigley arrived at the back post to convert a corner.

Tommy Berwick was denied by the home goalkeeper but Diamonds saw things out to book their place in the next round.

It was a bad day for Corby Town as a late goal from FC United of Manchester condemned them to their first away defeat of the season in the Vanamara National League North.

It proved to be a low-key first half with few chances as Tom Greaves headed wide for the hosts while Aaron Brown went close, also with a header, for the Steelmen.

The same theme continued after the break with both sides struggling to find a way through in front of a crowd of 3,326 at Broadhurst Park.

But the hosts sealed the points in the 84th minute when Matty Wolfenden stabbed home from six yards.

And the Steelmen were unable to find a way back, despite there being six minutes of stoppage-time at the end.