SATURDAY SPORT – Diamonds go through in the FA Cup but Poppies face a replay

All the details from today's local FA Cup action
All the details from today's local FA Cup action

AFC Rushden & Diamonds booked a place in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history as they stunned Evo-Stik Northern League Premier Division side Ashton United with a 2-0 success at the Dog & Duck.

Diamonds took the lead after 10 minutes when Scott Joseph headed home Tommy Berwick’s cross from the left.

Matt Finlay was forced into a decent save after that but Diamonds doubled their lead on 28 minutes when a visiting defender headed Sam Brown’s long throw into his own net.

They saw things out during the second half and could have made it three themselves when Tom Lorraine’s cross was almost forced home by Dan Quigley.

But they didn’t need another goal as they booked their place in Monday’s draw.

Kettering Town will head to the north-west on Tuesday night after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Bamber Bridge at Latimer Park.

The visitors took the lead on 15 minutes when a bit of pinball in the Poppies’ penalty area eventually saw the ball break to Brett Ormerod and he forced it home, despite the best efforts of Jamie McAlindon.

Kettering struggled to respond in what was a poor first-half display with Canavan seeing a shot deflected wide while McAlindon saved from Darren Green after a good corner routine at the other end.

The hosts needed to be better after the break and they were as they equalised seven minutes after the restart.

Dubi Ogbonna’s flick found Brett Solkhon and he squared across goal to Canavan, who steadied himself before firing home.

Solkhon headed wide from a corner as the Poppies hunted a winner but Bamber Bridge had a big chance to win it when they were awarded a penalty with 11 minutes to go.

It was soft as Steve Kinniburgh was adjudged to have brought down Curtis Thompson but McAlindon guessed the right way to brilliantly stop Milligan’s spot-kick.

The Poppies were out of luck late on when Andy Gooding’s shot crashed off the inside of the post and then, in the final moments, they were denied a penalty when visiting goalkeeper Lee Dovey crashed into Courtney Baker-Richardson.