SATURDAY SPORT – Crawford grabs Steelmen a dramatic first win, Howe sees red as Poppies lose and Diamonds are held

All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Jordon Crawford was the hero for Corby Town as they claimed their first win of the Evo-Stik Northern League Premier Division season in dramatic fashion with a 4-3 success over high-flying Blyth Spartans at Steel Park.

The Steelmen made a great start and were 1-0 up inside five minutes when Ben Milnes converted a cross from Crawford.

But the visitors drew level midway through the half when Robbie Dale broke through the Corby defence before finishing.

However, the Steelmen regained the lead a minute into the second half thanks to Femi Orenuga’s first goal for the club.

And it was 3-1 soon after when Danny Draper’s fine strike extended the Steelmen’s advantage.

However, Blyth pulled one back through Sean Reid and Corby looked like they were in for late heartbreak when Dale made it 3-3 late on.

However, Crawford was the late, late hero as his strike sealed the long-awaited win.

Rene Howe saw red and Dunstable Town were awarded three penalties as Kettering Town slipped to a 3-1 home defeat in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division at Latimer Park.

The Poppies started brightly and Spencer Weir-Daley was denied by Jack Smith before the hosts opened the scoring when Nathan Hicks’ pass released James Brighton and his low cross was finished at the far post by Wilson Carvalho.

Weir-Daley forced Smith into a good save at his near post after a neat turn and shot but the game changed on 18 minutes when, while trying to retrieve the ball for a throw-in, Rene Howe threw an elbow in the direction of Jack Hutchinson and was promptly shown a red card by referee Andrew Dallison.

But Kettering continued to create the better chances and Weir-Daley stabbed wide with the goal at his mercy before Paul Malone was off target with a header.

Shane Bush volleyed over for the visitors in a rare opening but the visitors did draw level on 67 minutes when Jhai Dhillon’s cross was met by the head of Kelvin Bossman who had just come on as a substitute.

And two minutes later, the game was turned on its head when Malone tripped Alexander Cathline in the area and Jack Hutchinson scored from the penalty spot.

Dunstable were awarded a second penalty when Malone again fouled Cathline as he raced away but this time Paul White produced a brilliant save to keep out Hutchinson’s spot-kick.

However, the game was up in stoppage-time when a third penalty was awarded to the visitors when Hutchinson threw himself over White’s hands and Cathline stepped up to wrap up Dunstable’s victory.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds were denied all three points as Shaw Lane grabbed a second-half equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw at the Dog & Duck in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division one South.

Diamonds opened the scoring on 22 minutes when Liam Dolman headed home Nic Evangelinos’ corner at the far post.

And Evangelinos was out of luck four minutes later as he struck the crossbar after the visiting goalkeeper had denied Tom Lorraine.

And Diamonds were denied a win with 12 minutes to go when Shaw Lane picked up a point with an equaliser.