SATURDAY FOOTBALL – Steelmen’s troubles deepen with defeat while 10-man Diamonds battle back for a point

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Corby Town’s struggles at the bottom of the Vanarama National League North deepened after three second-half goals saw them well beaten 3-0 at Chorley.

The game was only given the go ahead after an 11am pitch inspection at Victory Park and the hosts took full advantage as they struck three times to all-but end the contest by half-time.

Chorley took the lead on 19 minutes when Josh Hine rose to beat Sam Donkin with a looping header.

Donkin saved well from Hine but the Chorley man did double his team’s and his own tally just past the half-hour when he smashed the ball home off the underside of the crossbar.

Greg Mills sent a free-kick over for the Steelmen at the other end but it 3-0 three minutes before the break when Adam Roscoe diverted Andy Bond’s corner into the roof of the net.

Mills was the Steelmen’s main threat in the second half and he forced Sam Ashton into a good save with a long-range strike before he saw an effort ruled out for offside.

And any slim hopes of a fightback were ended on 69 minutes when Ben Milnes was sent off for a second bookable offence after a foul on Roscoe.

Donkin saved well from Hine late on as Chorley were unable to add to their tally.

Ten-man AFC Rushden & Diamonds battled back for a 2-2 draw at Northwood Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central.

Diamonds went close early on when Delroy Gordon glanced a header from a Richard Bunting free-kick just wide.

But the visitors did break the deadlock on the quarter-hour when Shawn Richards’ cross was headed home by Brad Harris.

Claudiu Hoban could have made it 2-0 but was denied by home goalkeeper Berkley Laurencin but the game turned when Connor Kennedy, who started at left-back, was sent off for pulling down a home forward when he was through on goal.

Tom Lorraine headed wide as Diamonds continued to go forward but the hosts drew level on the stroke of half-time when George Nicholas played in Niko Muir and he beat Matt Finlay to the ball and slotted home.

Diamonds almost responded before the break when Gordon was denied by a fine save from Laurencin following a Richards free-kick.

The visitors went close again soon after the restart with Lorraine unable to turn in Tommy Berwick’s header back across goal before Hoban had a shot blocked.

And they were made to pay on 67 minutes when Bayley Brown beat Finlay with a towering header from a Rob Hastings cross.

However, Diamonds hit back with 12 minutes to go when Lorraine’s fine header beat Laurencin and went in off the underside of the crossbar.

And the visitors almost won it late on when Richards brought a good save out of Laurencin before the hosts were also reduced to 10 men after a poor challenge on Diamonds debutant Luke Hipwell.