SATURDAY FOOTBALL – Steelmen’s poor run is finally ended but Poppies lose at Bideford

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Corby Town’s poor run of form finally came to an end as they beat AFC Telford United 3-2 at Steel Park to move off the bottom of the Vanarama National League North.

The Steelmen had gone 13 games without success in all competitions and were on the back of seven successive league defeats.

But, after a topsy-turvy clash, Tommy Wright’s team held on for a precious three points.

The Steelmen took the lead on the quarter-hour when Callum Ball grabbed his first goal in Corby colours as he volleyed home at the far post after a cross from the left by Greg Mills.

Telford came back strongly and they levelled on the half-hour when Paul Walker spilled Darren Campion’s cross and David Hibbert fired into an empty net.

Corby regained the lead on 37 minutes when visiting goalkeeper James Montgomery made a hash of collecting Ben Milnes’ free-kick and, after a scramble, Clayton McDonald smashed the ball home for his first goal for the club.

However, they were unable to hold on and, again, Walker was at fault as he dropped the ball after substitute Callum Hassan had volleyed the ball towards goal. And Connor McCarthy picked up the pieces to bring Telford level.

Sean Clancy smashed an effort off the post for the visitors after the break but it was Corby who went in front for a third time on the hour.

And it was another goalkeeping howler as Montgomery dropped Milnes’ corner from the left and Greg Mills was there to stab home from close range.

Telford substitute Johnny Gorman had the best chance to level when he blasted over from Ryan Rowe’s pass.

But Corby held on to end their barren run and pick up a crucial victory.

Kettering Town’s bid for three wins in a row ended as they were beaten 2-0 at struggling Bideford in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

Gary Mulligan had an early header saved by Kyle Moore but Kettering fell behind on 11 minutes when a good run and cross from Nick Barker ended with Kevin Squire turning the ball home from close range.

The Poppies had chances after that with Elliot Sandy firing wide while Dubi Ogbonna got round Moore after being played in but his touch was too heavy and the ball got away.

Matt Hockley fired wide for the hosts early in the second half before Moore denied Ogbonna following a corner.

But the Poppies’ defeat was confirmed six minutes from the end when Sean Downing won the ball from a Kettering throw-in, beat two players and shot into the bottom corner.