SATURDAY FOOTBALL – Steelmen hold the leaders, Poppies also draw but Diamonds are thumped at home

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Corby Town claimed a superb point as they held Vanarama National League North leaders Nuneaton Town to a 0-0 draw.

Nuneaton had the majority of possession and the better chances in the first half.

Harry Burgoyne made a good double save from Aaron Williams before Elliott Whitehouse struck the crossbar with a long-range effort.

Marlon Harewood went close for the hosts after the break while only a last-ditch challenge denied Ben Milnes after he was clean through on goal for Corby.

But they claimed a fine point after Williams struck the bar for a second time.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds conceded four second-half goals as Royston Town claimed a 4-1 victory at the Dog & Duck in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central top-of-the-table clash.

Diamonds opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Lewis Leslie grabbed his first goal for the club with a stunning 40-yard that may have been meant as a cross.

But Royston levelled two minutes into the second half when Jack Bradshaw slotted home.

The visitors completed the turnaround when Rhys Hoenes beat Matt Finlay and, after they had hit the bar, Royston made it 3-1 when Hoenes picked up a pass from Rob Mason, beat his marker and then fired home.

And it was Hoenes who had the final say as he completed his hat-trick and a fine win for the visitors.

Kettering Town extended their unbeaten run to four matches as they battled out a 0-0 draw with Cambridge City at a wind-swept Latimer Park in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division..

Both teams struggled to come to terms with the gusty conditions and it resulted in a first half of few chances.

Cambridge created the better openings as Danny Kelly forced Craig Hill into a low save before Joel Norris shot across the face of goal.

Norris came closest to opening the scoring when his fine strike cannoned off the crossbar and he also forced Hill into another save before the break.

Visiting goalkeeper Zac Barrett was finally tested early in the second half when he saved James Brighton’s shot and Kettering created the better openings after that.

Wilson Carvalho had a shot cleared off the line before substitute Courtney Baker-Richardson dragged one wide after finding himself with just Barrett to beat.

But neither side could find a clear-cut chances to produce a winner as honours, rightly, ended even.