SATURDAY FOOTBALL – Steelmen and Poppies battle back to earn draws as Diamonds’ match is abandoned

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Kalern Thomas scored a superb late goal as Corby Town came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw with fellow Vanarama National League North strugglers and county rivals Brackley Town at a rain-swept Steel Park.

It was an even first half with few chances at either end.

The closest either side came was when Paul Malone’s header from a Greg Mills free-kick cannoned off the post and went out for a goal-kick.

Brackley had more possession towards the end of the half with substitute David Moyo glancing a header wide while Tom Winters sent a 25-yard effort off target.

The visitors were the better side early in the second half and Ryan Austin’s header crashed off the crossbar before Winters curled another effort wide.

And it was no surprise when Brackley took the lead when the dangerous Winters jinked into the area and fired low past Sam Donkin.

Cleveland Taylor and Mills had efforts saved by Sam Hornby as Corby tried to respond.

And they did grab the equaliser with six minutes remaining through an unlikely source as Thomas cut in from the left and sent a superb strike beyond Hornby and into the top corner.

Winters shot wide again for Brackley late on but honours ended even.

Liam Canavan celebrated his new deal with Kettering Town as he struck a late leveller to earn them a 1-1 draw at Bedworth United in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

There were few chances in the first half but Kettering were forced into two changes with both Brett Solkhon and Chris Carruthers going off injured.

However, Bedworth opened the scoring eight minutes into the second half when Luke Rowe converted a penalty, which was conceded by Poppies goalkeeper Paul Walker.

But, with time running out, the Poppies drew level with five minutes to go when Canavan, who signed a long-term contract with the club this week, put the finishing touches to a good move.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds’ Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central clash with Arlesey Town was abandoned at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch at the Dog & Duck.

The match only went ahead following two morning inspections but heavy rain arrived during the first half and made the pitch unplayable for the second period.

Diamonds started well with Tom Lorraine shooting just wide from a tight angle before Tommy Berwick was also off target with a volley.

Lewis Leslie forced visiting goalkeeper Nick Thompson into his first save but Arlesey went close themselves when they hit the post before half-time.

But, as the rain came down the pitch became unplayable and the referee abandoned the match shortly after the players had returned from the dressing-rooms.