SATURDAY FOOTBALL – Poppies beat leaders Poole, Diamonds win again but Steelmen collapse in the Trophy

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Kettering Town picked up their best win of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division season so far as Wilson Carvalho’s third goal in as many games saw them beat leaders Poole Town 1-0 at Latimer Park.

The Poppies were forced into one change with Dom Langdon coming in for the suspended Gary Mulligan but new signing Paul Walker had to be content with a spot on the bench as Craig Hill kept his place in goal.

Both teams had early half-chances but the Poppies were handed a golden opportunity to open the scoring when goalkeeper Nick Hutchings brought down Liam Canavan in the area.

But the Poole stopper redeemed himself by saving Rene Howe’s resulting spot-kick.

The start of the second half was delayed due to an injury to one of the referee’s assistants but when it did restart, the Poppies went in front just past the hour.

Liam Bateman found Carvalho and he beat his man on the byline and then squeezed the ball home from a tight angle.

Hill made an important save to deny Luke Roberts as Poole went in search of an equaliser before Carvalho hammered a shot over the bar after good work from Canavan.

Claudiu Hoban was the late hero for AFC Rushden & Diamonds as they maintained their push at the top of the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central with a 1-0 victory at Petersfield Town.

Diamonds handed first starts to Edi Appleton and Lewis Leslie while Liam Dolman started a three-match ban and Andy Hall was ruled out with a groin injury.

Tommy Berwick shot wide early on before the hosts had two efforts cleared off the line in quick succession.

Appleton had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside and then Tom Liversedge saw a shot saved by the home goalkeeper.

Petersfield had another good chance that was volleyed over while Hoban almost scored direct from a corner but it was tipped over.

Berwick clipped the top of the bar in the second half but Diamonds got the breakthrough with just two minutes to go,

Richard Bunting’s free-kick was only half-cleared and Hoban fired it into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

A second-half capitulation saw Corby Town dumped out of the FA Trophy as Tamworth scored five goals in just 18 minutes to go through to the first round.

The Steelmen included latest signing Sam Downey in their starting line-up after the midfielder joined from Midland Alliance League Premier Division side Loughborough University while Anton Brown was named in the squad for the first time since suffering a dislocated wrist at the end of August.

Corby suffered a nightmare start as Elliott Durrell fired the visitors in front after just 41 seconds when Curtis Strong found him with a cross from the left.

Strong rattled the post with a long-range but the Steelmen recovered from a sloppy start and levelled on 24 minutes when Ben O’Hanlon won possession on the left and his cross was converted by Greg Mills.

And Corby completed the turnaround on 41 minutes when Mills was brought down by Paul Green in the area and picked himself up to beat James Belshaw from the penalty spot.

Tamworth so nearly levelled soon after when they hit the post for a second time when Connor Taylor’s thunderous strike came back off the upright.

But things unravelled for the Steelmen in a disastrous eight-minute spell in the second half.

Tamworth equalised through Taylor and then Strong hammered one into the top corner on 75 minutes.

And 3-2 quickly became 5-2 as Ross Dyer scored with a diving header from a corner and then scored from a rebound after Harry Burgoyne had only half-saved a shot.

Corby’s misery was completed in the final minute when Dyer raced through and fired home to complete his hat-trick.