SATURDAY FOOTBALL – Carvalho snatches a point for Poppies, Diamonds also draw but Steelmen are well beaten

All the news from today's football action
All the news from today's football action

Wilson Carvalho marked his Kettering Town debut with a dramatic late equaliser as they drew 1-1 at Merthyr Town in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

The Poppies looked to be heading for defeat as they trailed to a first-half goal.

But Carvalho fired a shot into the top corner in the third minute of stoppage-time to earn his team a share of the spoils.

The Poppies also handed debuts to Liam Bateman and Herve Pepe-N’Goma after they joined the club yesterday while another new arrival, Ben Stephens who signed from Oadby Town, was named on the bench.

But Rene Howe was made to wait for a return in Kettering colours as the club await international clearance after he re-signed for the Poppies yesterday.

After a bright start, Merthyr had the first real chance when Ian Traylor shot wide.

But the hosts did break the deadlock on 21 minutes when Traylor found Prosser on the edge of the area and he scored on the half-volley.

Dubi Ogbonna had claims for a penalty turned down while Brett Solkhon headed over from a corner before the break.

Liam Canavan shot over in the second half while Craig Hill made a fine save to deny Jenkins.

But Kettering continued to create chances and both Canavan and Solkhon were denied by home goalkeeper Bradley while Elliot Sandy sent an effort over.

They went even closer when Carvalho struck the post with 10 minutes to go but the debutant was the last-gasp hero as he blasted a shot into the top corner to seal a point.

Corby Town suffered a miserable day in the Vanarama National League North as fifth-placed Harrogate Town picked up a comprehensive 3-0 victory at Steel Park.

The Steelmen started brightly and they were out of luck in the third minute when Clayton McDonald’s header from a Greg Mills corner struck the top of the bar and bounced out for a goal-kick.

From there, Harrogate grew into the game and they took the lead on 27 minutes when a good move ended with Lewis Turner pulling the ball back to Jerry Yates who took a touch before firing into the far corner.

And it could have been 2-0 before the break but Joe Colbeck couldn’t get on the end of Yates’ shot across goal.

But Harrogate did double their advantage 11 minutes into the second half when a free-kick routine released Brendan Daniels down the left and his low cross was met by Luke Shiels who couldn’t miss from close-range.

And it was game over soon after when Yates latched on to a poor back pass and skipped round Harry Burgoyne before slotting into an empty net.

Kalern Thomas and McDonald both forced saves out of Peter Crook late on but Corby were well beaten.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds conceded a late equaliser as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Beaconsfield SYCOB in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

Diamonds included new signing, former Corby Town defender Edi Appleton, on the bench after he joined yesterday.

Beaconsfield started the better and only a good save from Matt Finlay and then a block from a home defender stopped them from taking the lead.

Brad Harris went close to giving the hosts the lead but they did go in front three minutes before the break.

Tommy Berwick took down Andy Hall’s fine diagonal pass and fired the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs.

Tom Lorraine should have made it 2-0 in the second half when he headed a Hall cross wide but Diamonds had a big let off when the visitors struck the crossbar.

The hosts looked to add to their lead again with Lorraine denied by a save and Hall smashing wide from 25 yards.

And they were made to pay for those missed chances as Beaconsfield levelled in the final minute as Aaron Berry smashed home after Diamonds failed to clear a corner.