Poppies suffer again as Bedworth seal comfortable victory

Alan Doyle
Alan Doyle

Kettering Town slipped to a fourth successive league defeat since returning to action as Bedworth United claimed a 4-1 win at Steel Park.

The Poppies were once again playing their Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division game at Corby Town’s stadium due to the problems at Nene Park with the power remaining cut off.

And there were a few faces in the crowd to watch the game with former Poppies boss Mark Cooper and ex-director Lee Thorn on hand amongst an attendance of 406.

Talks are, apparently, still continue between majority shareholder Imraan Ladak and a mystery group who he says are interested in taking over Kettering.

Ladak has not commented on the situation for sometime now, leaving Ritchie Jeune and other volunteers to continue running the club.

Former Poppies midfielder Scott Goodwin was also helping from the bench along with manager Alan Doyle and assistant Thomas Bailey while ex-Kettering players Jean-Paul Marna and Patrick Noubissie were watching from the stands.

But all seemed well for Alan Doyle’s side early on against Bedworth as they took the lead after 14 minutes through Lewis Wilson, who joined on loan from Northampton Town on Friday night.

However, Bedworth worked their way back into the game and Mitchell Piggon equalised after he was allowed too much time to shoot from the egde of the area.

And the visitors took a 2-1 lead into the break with Piggon on target again just before the interval.

Poppies goalkeeper Yannick Nlate made a point blank save to deny Aaron Donaldson early in the second half but he did make it 3-1 when his shot found its way in.

Wilson went close to bagging his second of the afternoon but the Poppies’ hopes were ended when Will Muzvimbiri was sent off for an over-the-top challenge.

Ashley Spencer made it 4-1 before the end and the defeat means the Poppies remain 19 points from safety in the Premier Division after they were given a 10-point deduction for entering a Company Voluntary Arrangement to clear their debts in the summer.

They are due to make the long trek to Bideford on Tuesday night, although the Devon side had a home game postponed due to the bad weather at the weekend.