Poppies stunned at home by Uxbridge

Kettering Town joint-managers Thomas Baillie and Scott Machin
Kettering Town joint-managers Thomas Baillie and Scott Machin

Kettering Town suffered a second successive defeat at Latimer Park as they were stunned by a 1-0 defeat to Uxbridge in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central.

The Poppies remain on top of the table going into a week of cup action but they were unable to build on two away wins last week.

Joint-managers Thomas Baillie and Scott Machin were forced into two changes from the team that won 4-0 at Bedford Town in midweek with top scorer Dubi Ogbonna, who struck twice in that victory, missing out due to “pre-arranged plans”.

That meant a start for Josh Moreman alongside Alfie Taylor while Andy Gooding also returned to the side in place of James Jepson, who was ruled out due to an ankle injury.

Brett Solkhon once again started alongside Jason Lee at the heart of the defence with Tommy Hull beginning a three-match ban.

James Clifton dragged an effort wide before having a header scrambled away as the Poppies had plenty of early possession.

Uxbridge did cause the home defence a few problems but it was Alfie Taylor who forced the first save of the match.

However, the visitors stunned the hosts by taking the lead on the stroke of half-time when Craig Tomkins’ speculative effort from distance looped over Jamie McAlindon and into the net.

The Poppies went close to equalising early in the second half when good work from Taylor created a chance for Andy Hall but his shot was well saved by visiting goalkeeper Rouke Pickford.

Moreman blasted over the bar on the volley but the hosts cranked up the pressure and and Ash Robinson saw an effort cleared off the line by William Wambeek before Pickford somehow saved Lewis Wilson’s follow up.

Moreman dragged another effort wide and Robinson was off target from 10 yards when he might have done better.

Louis Hamilton, Jon Bukasa and Nat Liburd were all thrown on from the bench as Kettering chased the equaliser.

But, despite it being one-way traffic, the Poppies were unable to find a way through.

Poppies: McAlindon; Clifton, Solkhon, Lee, Kinniburgh; Wilson, Robinson, Gooding, Hall; Taylor, Moreman. Subs: Bukasa, Hamilton, Liburd, Marsh.

Uxbridge: Pickford; Christopher, Pepera, Dennison, Wambeek; Tomkins, Hubbard, Carter, Cole, Moore; Knight. Subs: McCarthy Logon Groves Otira.

Goals: Tomkins (45 mins, 0-1).

Attendance: 630.