MONDAY SPORT – Steelmen edge towards safety while Diamonds Poppies are held

All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Corby Town took a giant stride towards safety in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division as they claimed a superb 3-0 victory over play-off chasing Grantham Town at Steel Park.

With Sutton Coldfield Town beating Halesowen Town 1-0, it means the Steelmen will have to match or better Sutton’s result on the final day of the season to complete the great escape.

Steve Kinniburgh made two changes following the 1-0 success at Stafford Rangers on Saturday with Jordon Crawford and Joe Iaciofano recalled to the starting line-up while Connor Kennedy and Spencer Weir-Daley dropped to the bench.

The Steelmen got the crucial breakthrough on 20 minutes when Aaron Brown headed home David Bell’s corner at the far post.

Steven Leslie went close with a 40-yard effort after he spotted goalkeeper Keiran Preston off his line but the ball sailed just over the bar.

The lead was doubled on 59 minutes when former Corby man Stefan Galinski was penalised for climbing all over Brown in the area and Steven Leslie stepped up to send Preston the wrong way from the spot.

And the game was over with 19 minutes to go when Leslie’s free-kick from the right touchline missed everyone and found its way in.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds will go into the final day of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South knowing a win will seal a play-off place after they drew 1-1 at Stamford.

Diamonds’ point kept them ahead of Basford United and Newcastle Town in the hunt for the final top-five position.

There were two changes to Diamonds’ starting line-up following the 1-0 victory over Newcastle Town on Saturday with the injured Richard Bunting replaced by the returning Ollie Brown-Hill while Tom Lorraine came in for Jack Bowen, who was amongst the substitutes.

Shawn Richards shot over from a Shariff cross early on but it was the top scorer who opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time when he rose highest to head home a corner.

Matt Finlay was forced into a good save early in the second half while substitute Bowen had a shot agonisingly wide at the other end.

But Diamonds were pegged back with eight minutes to go when Jordan Smith headed home a John King cross.

Kettering Town’s final home game of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division ended in a 0-0 draw as Cambridge City earned another point as they look to survive the drop.

Brett Solkhon and Jack Kelly returned to the starting line-up while youngster Ben Baker kept his place.

The Poppies had the best chances in a goalless first half when Aaron O’Connor shooting inches wide after a good turn.

And they went even closer before the break when Rene Howe’s shot was blocked on the line following a cross from Baker.

Solkhon headed just over in the second half but neither side could find a winner.