MIDWEEK SPORT – Steelmen dumped out, controversy for Diamonds and Poppies are thrashed

All the details from tonight's football action
All the details from tonight's football action

Corby Town were dumped out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle after they were beaten 2-1 at Rushall Olympic in their second qualifying round replay.

Having battled back to draw 1-1 at Steel Park on Saturday, the Steelmen found themselves 1-0 down inside six minutes in the West Midlands when Jack Duggan headed home Kris Taylor’s cross at the far post.

Corby responded with Kabongo Tshimanga hitting the post before Ashley Sammons saw one effort go over before another was saved on the goalline.

And the Steelmen felt they should have had a penalty just before half-time when Tshimanga appeared to be pulled down in the box but the referee waved away the appeals.

However, Corby did draw level just past the hour when Chris Carruthers fired home from a Cleveland Taylor free-kick.

But they were only back on level terms for six minutes as the same combination of Taylor and Duggan created what proved to be the winner as the latter again headed home.

The Steelmen went in search of an equaliser but it didn’t come as they exited to lower-ranked opposition for the second season in a row.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds’ Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central clash at Kings Langley ended in controversy and an apparent abadonment.

Diamonds had fallen behind with 14 minutes remaining as their 31-match unbeaten run looked like coming to an end.

However, they looked to have earned a point when Dan Quigley struck in the final minute.

But it appears Kings Langley were furious with the way that goal came about with the hosts claiming the ball should have been returned to them following an injury.

Ugly scenes on the pitch followed with a member of the home side’s coaching team being red-carded and with the referee unable to calm the situation, it is understood he abandoned the game with two minutes still to play.

Kettering Town suffered an FA Cup hangover as they were thumped 4-0 at Dunstable Town on their return to Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division duty.

The Poppies, who had knocked AFC Telford United of the cup three days earlier, named an unchanged side but found themselves 1-0 down after two minutes when James Kaloczi headed home David Keenleyside’s corner.

Former Kettering goalkeeper Paul Bastock saved from Liam Canavan and the Poppies went so close to a leveller just past the half-hour when Brett Solkhon headed Will Grocott’s cross against the post.

Dunstable made the visitors pay for that when Victor Osobu beat Richard Bryan for pace and curled home a fine strike past Enol Ordonez.

And it was 3-0 on 37 minutes as Kettering conceded from another Keenleyside corner with Luke Pennell left unmarked to head home at the far post.

Any hopes the Poppies might have had of launching a comeback disappeared early in the second half as Keenleyside turned from provider to scorer when he side-footed home after good work from Osobu.

And Kettering’s misery was compounded when coach Scott Goodwin was sent from the touchline after an altercation with an opposing player.