MIDWEEK SPORT – Poppies held at home, Steelmen beaten at leaders and Diamonds finish goalless

All the details from tonight's local football action
All the details from tonight's local football action

Kettering Town’s wait for a first home win of the season in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division goes on after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Hayes & Yeading United.

The Poppies were stunned after just 25 seconds when Yannis Ambrosine headed the visitors into an early lead.

Kaid Mohamed was denied by goalkeeper Louis Wells as Kettering tried to respond.

And they did level things up just before the hour mark when Liam Canavan, who was restored to the starting line-up, fired low into the far corner.

Aaron O’Connor shot wide soon after while Dom Langdon had to clear a Hayes effort off the line at the other end.

But neither side was able to grab a winner.

Corby Town were unable to build on their first win of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at leaders Buxton.

The game came 10 days after the two teams had drawn 1-1 at Steel Park and three days after the Steelmen had defeated another of the high-fliers Blyth Spartans.

There were few chances in a goalless first half, although the hosts had the majority of possession without causing the Steelmen many problems.

Jordon Crawford had the ball in the net in the second half but it was ruled out for a foul but it was Buxton who opened the scoring when Jamie Jackson went round Aidan Grant to score on 65 minutes.

And the Steelmen were unable to find a way back into the game after that.

Injury-ravaged AFC Rushden & Diamonds claimed a third successive draw in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South as their clash with Romulus at the Dog & Duck ended in a 0-0 stalemate.

After a quiet start both sides created first-half chances with Diamonds’ best one falling to Nabil Shariff who broke clear but was denied by goalkeeper Rhys Bills.

At the other end, Matt Finlay made a superb stop from Jack Donnelley who was sent through on goal.

The game became scrappy after the break with neither side taking a grip, although Finlay produced another fine save to top away Nathan Waite’s curling shot.

But there were few other chances as Diamonds warmed up for their FA Cup date at Hendon with another point.