MIDWEEK SPORT – Poppies finally win in midweek while Diamonds thump Fleet

All the details from tonight's football action
All the details from tonight's football action

Kettering Town’s midweek hoodoo in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division was ended as they claimed an excellent 3-1 success at Biggleswade Town.

The Poppies announced a signing before the game with goalkeeper Craig Hill arriving

Marcus Law’s team made a great start and found themselves 2-0 up inside the first 15 minutes.

They opened the scoring when Liam Canavan found Will Grocott and he drove forward before firing low into the corner.

And they doubled that lead when the referee’s assistant flagged for a goal after the returning Ollie Thorne’s header had hit the post and rolled along the goalline.

Biggleswade pulled on back 10 minutes before the break when Hill missed a ball over the top, which allowed Sam Merson to tap in.

In the second half, Dubi Ogbonna had a shot blocked after good work from Courtney Baker-Richardson while Merson sent a free-kick just over at the other end.

Biggleswade hit the bar with six minutes to go but soon after the game was over when Poppies substitute Silvano Obeng scored from a tight angle after good work from Jevani Brown.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds made it a magnificent seven league wins in a row as they moved back into the top three of the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central with a 5-2 victory over Fleet Town at the Dog & Duck.

Six of the goals came in a crazy first half as Diamonds warmed up nicely for the big FA Cup clash at Barwell.

They started on the front foot and took the lead when Tom Lorraine nodded home after Tommy Berwick challenged Ryan Pryce for a high ball.

Pryce denied Brad Harris and Andy Hall but had no chance when Lorraine doubled the lead by finishing a good passing move with a shot that went in off the underside of the bar.

And it was 3-0 soon after when Hall deflected Sam Brown’s shot into the corner.

Courtney Herbert struck the bar with a long range effort but Fleet pulled a goal back when Daryll Phillips tapped a low cross home at the far post.

However, Diamonds hit back and made it 4-1 when Berwick fired back across goal and into the far corner on the right of the area.

A crazy first half ended with Fleet being allowed to pull another goal back though as Phillips’s shot struck the post and Benjamin White hammered home the rebound.

It was more subdued in the second period but Hall went close to a second when he sent an audacious chip just over.

But substitute Scott Joseph did make it five when he got a shot off early from 25 yards, which left Pryce rooted to the spot as it found the corner.

Hall rattled the crossbar with the last kick of the match as Diamonds wrapped up a comfortable victory.